Broke My Frame!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by walkerjet, Aug 24, 2008.

1. walkerjet

walkerjet New Member

My down tube completly broke and seperated from the frame!! I was doiing about 25 mph when I noticed a wooble that told me to SHUT HER DOWN!! Low and be hold my down tube is completley seperated and not at the weld!! This is CRO-MO STEEL, if I had continued my kids would be rich,just kidding!Freaked me out!Please see pictures.:rolleyes:/Users/Rob/Desktop/Broken Frame

2. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Can cro-mo steel take a welding?

Interested to find out...
  3. walkerjet

walkerjet New Member

Sorry Here Are The Pics

4. kerf

kerf Guest

Your's isn't the first frame "sawed" through by those vibrating little demons of destruction.
  5. walkerjet

walkerjet New Member

Sure; CRO -MO is TIG welded, but this a major failure ! Also this is a track frame designed for extreme forces. Don't know, too much vibration from the engine, the road, or too much speed??
  6. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I think Tom the admin had this happen to his green machine, It was on the seat tube rather than the down tube right under the happytime mount. Yeah, it happens enough to make me afraid to run my stingray until I get a good 4 stroke on there. I would swap out my current motor if they ever improve the happytime to the point that they don't vibrate your nuts off. But at the moment the excessive vibes just turn me off to it and it collects dust unfortunately. I'm waiting for the frame mount DAX Titan. For now go with a good quality rack mount otherwise these kind of problems are all that will await you down the road.
  7. stude13

stude13 Active Member

looks like a comsumer product safety commission recall case. you could get a rebate.
  8. walkerjet

walkerjet New Member

Yeah, The ironic thing is I have a Stanton Rack mount arriving next week and was planning on mounting it on this ride! Spoke with my locale bike reseller and now have a shiny new Norco VFR 5 ready for the Robin Engine. :)
  9. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Darn, is there a section in the warranty about strapping a HT to the bike?
  10. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

You find me the bicycle manufacturer who recommends the bike for mounting a vibration-happy 2 stroke....
  11. walkerjet

walkerjet New Member

Not in our life time.
  12. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

What do you mean by track frame? What make / model bike do you use?
  13. tpelle

tpelle New Member

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to "break" the sharp edges of the motor mount with a file. I'm thinking the sharp edge may have sawed through the tube.
  14. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I don't think this would help in most cases. These engines literally do vibrate enough to cause repetitive stress fracturing in metal. It's just like bending a paper clip. You can do it only so many times until the metal becomes soft then eventually just breaks apart.
    I don't think the mounts are the problem I think its the fact that for the most part these engines aren't engineered or manufactured correctly leading to excessive vibrations that eventually destroy the motor or the bike its on.
    Happytime mounts seem to have more surface area on the frame than Staton or GEBE mounts but you don't see those motors vibrating frames apart. Personally I think everybody should steer clear of these engines until they're made to some respectable standard, otherwise the HT dealers have no reason to improve their products. Riding a MAB is dangerous enough without having to worry about fuel leaks, bolts vibrating off, broken spokes from half arsed sprocket mounting techniques or the infamous HT seize n' lock that sends your bike into an uncontrollable skid when your engine instantly locks and has no freewheel as a safety measure.
    May the buyer beware, these things are bad news.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  15. walkerjet

walkerjet New Member

A track frame or bike is designed for fixed gear or single gear riding, very tight geometry, no gears involved and if fixed,NO BRAKES. Most can be seen at the velodrome in the Olympics or in most major cities ridden by bike messengers. tried a Surly Steam Roller for this build and you know the result; I also ride a Steel-Wool single gear (no motor) designed here in Canada;) most fast!!
  16. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I don't know of any track frames designed for "Extreme Forces". A Surly Steam Roller I wouldn't go jumping off anything other than a curb and that's without a motor. Track bikes are meant to be light, not take a beating and the HTs are good for beating the frames (hence why tell people not to drill their frames to mount them). The Surly Karate Monkey would have been a better choice if you are looking to use 700c rims. Of the Surlys I think the Instigator would be the best frame for MB use.
  17. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Cro-Moly + HT = :(

Cro-Moly is very hard and brittle. I can't absorb energy, its just shears off. Mild steel is softer and can absorb energy. As an example, race used to use Cro-Moly in their roll cages. But it would brake rather than bend. Now its banned in roll cages.
    The best and only mat'l people should use with HT's is mild steel. Match cheap with cheap.
    Happy riding on your high dollar MB!
  18. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Another reason why I average 20mph on my bike. Can you imagine doing 35-40mph and having a frame failure or brake failure? Yes, I've had brake pads vibrate loose. Also had steering vibrate lose-handlebar didn't turn the wheel fully--but I was able to catch that when pedalling that i had sloppyh steering.
  19. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Thats nothing...I had one break a down tube and seat tube all at once! Only thing holding her together was the tube between my legs!

Trek chromoly mountain bike.

20. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

SCORE International Off-Road Racing
    National Hot Rod Assoc
    Sports Car Club of America (big pdf file)
    They all want chromoly.

Couldn't find NASCAR's rule book online, but net searching roll cages and NASCAR turns up Chromoly quite often.