Broke My Gas Cap

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fulltimer, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

I was going to go for a nice Sunday ride today. But when I checked my gas one of the little tabs broke off. Great! So I put it back on to see if 1 tab would seal it up. Nope! Plus the other tab went inside the lid!!

Then I went to a dealers web site to order a new one and an extra one. Now this really sucks: 2 gas caps = $9.98 PLUS Shipping $10.00! Ten dollars to ship 2 little gas caps!:poop: I guess I'll go back and order them because I can't ride around without a gas cap.

I just wanted to vent a little before I place an order.

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Just be sure that the new cap(s) vent as well.
  3. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Shipping sux

I wish all shipping was free or super cheap. My gas cap is leaking a little and metal part kinda bent. Hope mine dont break.
  4. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

What really burns me is this guy is only 1 state away from me! I would rather he make his profit on the product not the so called shipping charges. The weight of 2 caps and the size of a box or envelope, plus postage can not equal $10.00. Now I know why his site is named the way it is.:shout:

5. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

Well it cost me $1.00 per cap more but only $4.00 shipping! I will buy from her again!!

6. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I was going to suggest looking at the tank closely......more parts shipped cuts down on shipping costs. (Also Chrome tanks are cool...IMO)
  7. Swede

Swede New Member

When you get your new gas caps bend the tabs that stick out on each side a little with a pair of pliers and they wont slide in on one side or break off. I had the same problem on my bike and after I made that adjustment there was no further problems.

If you dont know what I'm talking about look at the new caps and you'll see the metal strap that goes through it that locks it onto the fuel tank. There are 2 tabs on each side of the U shape that makes up the strap. Grab the tabs and bend them out a little with pliers before you use the gas caps. You wont have anymore problems if you do this.

8. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

Thanks for tip! I'll do that.