Broke something in the muffler

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by JosephGarcia, Apr 25, 2007.

1. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

It looks to be half of a small flat circular plate that was in the muffler, half fell out.

the bike has half the power it used to. At 20 MPH its RPM is twice as fast as it used to. also gets hotter faster, well relative to the RPM

It's rideable, but I like keeping up with the cars, because now they have to pass me and they are angry.

Should I order a new one? Or does Jeff_Speeder have his old one still?

WHAT DO I DO? O_O

2. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

yes i have my old one youll have to weld it on. its in new condition. i know the thing that you lost idk why it going slower. it should be fast

3. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

well it takes twice as much power to get to any speed as before.

And if I have to weld anything, that's not going to work. No access to any welding thing, nor do I know anything about welding.
    Thanks though.

4. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

check ebay and amazon.com

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jeff is right, it should have a bit more power, and the RPM shouldn't change at all.
    If it was running borderline lean then you will get a power loss. Once again the RPM shouldn't change, just sounds that way.

Try removing the carb slide and moving the needle clip DOWN one notch, that should improve your power.

Heck, I can't even get my muffler apart to cut/remove the baffle. :?

6. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

ya cause i first took my end peice with the screw out of my muffler and that helped and i noticed a peice of metal was falling out which i thaut was mabey a peice to keep the end peice stable in the muffler. but once that was out it worked fine and better speed. the rpms did not change thay just came faster since the peice was out. now i dont really know why your engine is reacting badly it keept me thinking for a while last night why.

do you have the end peice off your muffler to or did it just fall out?

7. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I was thinking of that, moving the circlip to the 3rd space from the top on the needle. If I do that and it helps with the power, Would I still eventually need a new muffler? Or would it be safe to ride it like this for the next few months.

8. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Ok, I changed the clip to a richer mixture, started the engine, let it idle and i was giving it a bit of throttle here and there, engine seems to be running fine, its misfiring a bit for just starting on a cold morning, getting stronger by the minute. I look down and im blowing alot of blue smoke. I immediately turn engine off and go to Motoredbikes.com for more help...

What's wrong with it now?

It also smells a whole lot worse :sad:

9. azbill

azbill Active Member

I don't think anything is wrong, you just notice the smoke more cause it's coming out unrestricted.
    before, a lot was trapped in muffler

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

keep in mind that at idle you don't get a full-power spark...speaking of, what's your gap set to? you'll need .020 max in order to get a hot enough spark to burn the richer mixture.

11. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

12. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Ok, so far I switched the circlip on the needle to the third position and it made alot of blue gas, then I was told to change the sparkplug gap to .020, I did, and it started faster but ultimately no change. I switched back to the second spot on the needle and it's still making alot of blue smoke.

Also the engine doesn't want to stay on, it keeps trying to die. No this is not a idle speed problem. it stays if I give it alot of gas, otherwise it dies, but doesn't sputter while dying.

Also seems to be misfiring, and everytime it does, a huge cloud of blue smoke flies out of the exhaust, otherwise its a steady stream.

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

it sounds like you may be dealing with an intake leak. if that's the case, 2 places could have that much effect: the carb isn't sealing on the intake, or your intake gasket is turning to mush.

14. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I decided to try actually riding it instead of letting it idle. Performance inproved, more power, and after 5 minutes of riding the engine improved, doesn't die now, the exhaust is back to normal.

It's misfiring a little worse at low RPMs now than it did at .030

its at .024

here are pics, my exhaust looks alot different than some of your guys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second pic is to show my air intake. Is it bad to have it like that? always ran fine before.

Everyone just ignore the Winnie the Pooh sign. :grin:

15. Guest

Guest Guest

That intake looks fine.

Now that it's running better, I'm thinking you just crapped up the plug.

I ran mine with the needle clip on the third from the top and it ran good. Second from the top makes it run a bit lean, but that's with 20/1 mix.

I'll switch it back to the second from the bottom if need be when I got to 40/1.

16. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I'm at 40:1 with the clip at the second from top, is this too lean? I just rode the bike about 4 miles and it was barely warmed up when I got back. I was thinking if i warmed it up enough before I rode, but I realized the engines running cooler.

Plus, right now I can't see any exhuast smoke, its back to the condition it was before I messed with that part in the muffler.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

If it's not running hot and the throttle response is good, it's just about right.
    See my signature.... :lol:

18. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

about your sig..

I know that all too well, its why I went thru so many lighting systems, when one worked i kept messing with it...

and guitars...

and normal bicycles..

computers..

cars..

I just like to mess with sh!t. :grin:

19. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I'm NOT alone after all...

20. azbill

azbill Active Member

yup...if it aint broke, fix it till it is
    but sometimes, fixin it works better, and makes up for the o-s**t times