Engine Trouble Broken rear stud bolt

AquaManAndy

Local time
6:07 AM
So I was breaking in my grubee skyhawk engine when this happened. How do I fix and prevent this?

Attachments

• 20161104_191445.jpg
    20161104_191445.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20161104_191533.jpg
    20161104_191533.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 155
fix depends on how the back of motor looks - can you get old stud out? - after it is out, does metal still look solid or hammered up a bit? - I have made complcated replacement attachment points there, but if metal is good, one can re-thread and get up to about an 8mm stud in there

prevention is hard to say with that kind of swivel mount - they should never break with a solid mount at both ends of motor (be sure motor is packed down solidly before ever tightening bolts and never over tighten them since goal is to have motor tight in frame not studs tight as possible)

So I was breaking in my grubee skyhawk engine when this happened. How do I fix and prevent this?
Hi hi, if the engine stud is broke off flush? Try cutting a small slot with a rotary tool in the end of the bolt. A small flat head screwdriver should back it out. Helped a friend make that repair a few times.

best tool for removing broken stud is called grab it!the best extractor i have ever used period.as for prevention the way you have it mounted is very susceptible to sheer again! it should really be mounted on the seat tube flush, flat,and square for the most strength. and that swivel mount was really intended for the front!

Great advise, personally I haven`t broke an engine bolt on my own ride. Used hockey puck material for rubber spacers. Always bolted the back mount first, then the front, as that is where the force of the chain is. The "grab it", sounds like a good investment though.
Thanks

Back