Broken Teeth on Clutch Plate

tbeeghly

Local time
11:13 AM
Hey again, bad news again. I was dismounting my engine to replace the hardware earlier because of a broken bolt, and in the process noticed something horrible, a piece of metal that had broken through the gearbox of my happy time 2 stroke. I proceeded to open up the right side of the engine to find a few broken teeth had broken off the larger cog and punctured the engine casing. The bike has been running, but not quite as well as Jon's, whom I built the bikes with. I'm guessing this is the cause. The cogs do not seem to be that heavily greased, should they be? There is a collection of metal shavings and grease near the hole in the box. We bought the engines off of Boygofast, but not through ebay so that we could get a better deal on two of them. I have sent an earlier email about a replacement chain and he didn't reply, so I doubt he'll do anything about this. I'm including pics so you guys understand what's going on. If you have ANY input that would be awesome. We couldn't have built these bikes without you all and I can't repair it without you. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 451
Holy cow. That's not wear, that's failure. I almost looks like there was a gas bubble in the casting. Your vendor should make good on that. Good luck.

Edit: The gears should be lightly greased, a pea size glob of grease placed at the meeting of the gears on an occasional basis. Too much and you can have clutch problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.I feel your pain guy, what a bummer. As far as the greese goes, they say to use very little as it can get all over your clutch plates and then you would just slip. Besides within a few minutes it just gets thrown to the side anyways. Where your hole is,is where the grease tends to build up so that is why it seems to be there, along with the shavings. There is no pressure in that part of the case and really all you want to do is keep water and dirt out of there. You could use a metal repair "glue" there and I'm sure you would be fine. Even your gears look like they still line up enough to still be able to drive it unless the gears were in that spot as you tried to bump start it. I myself would take the chance.
BUT...what caused it? If Mickey is correct that could be a good thing, otherwise you really need to figure out what caused it.

Thanks for the support guys. Have any of you dealt with BoyGoFast? Jon and I arranged a deal for the engines outside of ebay, we just paid through PayPal and he sent us some engines so theres not much I can do if he doesn't respond to my emails. I'll just perpetually send one till he gets the message I guess. Is this problem really that devastating or can I ride like it is?

man it looks like a bomb went off! boy go fast is a cool dude, and 1 time, at 8 o clock at night he even went to the warehouse just to see if he had a part for me. so he should be pretty cool about it, let us know how it goes, it looks rideable, but be careful, if it breakes it breaks do that at your own risk. if youre worried about flying shrapnel, i dont think that will be an issue, unless it completely breaks, and it is thrown off center.

I agree with Mickey. Sure looks like a defect to me. I would not ride it like that. There is danger of more pieces coming off the clutch disk and doing further damage to other parts of the motor. At least a new clutch plate isn't too spendy. I'd replace the clutch plate and JB Weld the case.

As always, good point Large Filipino. $20 is not a big deal and he would be smart to change it.I still can't figure out how that could happen,unless it was a factory problem.
I wonder if pointing out to "go fast" that this is a topic of discusion on this site would "help" gofast in deciding to replace the whole engine?

A small rock in there could have done it. It's sitting along then when you release the clutch to start the engine the little jolt would be enough to lodge the rock in the gear and momentum did the rest.

Back