BTR leaf spring build

james65

Local time
9:27 AM
Although my BTR may be more of a cruiser due to the fenders, I have made a fork more fitting for a BTR.

1. All moving joints are bushed.
2. Spring connecting rods are adjustable to change spring preload'
3. The pivot arms are reversable to change stiffnes of the desired ride.
4. The adjustable spring connecting rods are built to be connected for leading or trailing setup.

The existing fork will be used on a new Cruiser build.

Attachments

• BTR crusier.JPG
    BTR crusier.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,180
  • truss fork 016.JPG
    truss fork 016.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,924
  • truss fork 012.JPG
    truss fork 012.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 6,001
  • truss fork 014.JPG
    truss fork 014.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 4,865
  • truss fork 015.JPG
    truss fork 015.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,248
Last edited:
Nice, did you have a longer axle? What did you make the spring from. I'm building a truss fork and may go for the spring. Louis

leaf spring & axle

The axle being used is the standard axle supplied with the Husky wheel. The length of the axle is APROX 128mm.
The inside useable space between the pivot arms is APROX 104mm.

The spring was purchased at Harbor Frieght. I purchased the lightest trailer spring they had. I also ground it as shown, to make it have more give (that may not be needed).

Last edited:
Back from Christmas shopping with just enough time to get the fork painted. Holidays are screwing up the schedule!

Attachments

• PAINTED FORK 005.JPG
    PAINTED FORK 005.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 5,620
  • PAINTED FORK 006.JPG
    PAINTED FORK 006.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,566
  • PAINTED FORK 007.JPG
    PAINTED FORK 007.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,058
Like the pictures. I am thinking of using a lawn mower blade for a spring. They are good steel and could temepered to make a spring. What do you think? Louis

Yes that sounds interesting. But with the amount of work getting the right temperment, it would be easier to buy a trailer spring. A single trailer spring cost about $20 and you can make two spring forks from it.
A boat & trailer repair shop may even give you an old one.

Plus with just half a blade that mower will run vibrate like crazy!

Garbage In Garbage Out does not nessisarily apply to motorbikes... however, springs are a tricky bit of buisness. Mower blades are closer to tool steel than spring steel, I would avoid useing them. Better off scrounging a boneyard- you might have to purchase a whole cluster, but even that ought to be cheap. Do golf carts use leaf springs? Never gutted one, don't know... seems the coiled spring variety of springer would be easier to replicate- but I gotta admit James- THAT looks sharp!
the Old Sgt.

leaf attachment point

This is how the leaf is attached to this fork.

Attachments

• leaf holder 015.JPG
    leaf holder 015.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,831
  • leaf holder 017.JPG
    leaf holder 017.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,710
  • leaf holder 018.JPG
    leaf holder 018.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,795
Back