Btr_sidecar Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

james65

Local time
7:30 PM
Well I have started the side car for this bike. It has two removable brackets that hinge the side car. The rear attachment point is threaded to allow adjustment for toe-in toe-out.

The sidecar frame is made of 3/4 EMT. All joints are welded and reinforced.
The axle tube is 1in square tube. The axle itself is 1 in. steel turned down to 3/4 with bearing races to match the wheel.

Attachments

• sidecar 003.JPG
    sidecar 003.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • sidecar 005.JPG
    sidecar 005.JPG
    494.9 KB · Views: 995
  • sidecar 006.JPG
    sidecar 006.JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 993
  • sidecar 009.JPG
    sidecar 009.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 970
  • sidecar 012.JPG
    sidecar 012.JPG
    607.1 KB · Views: 938
  • sidecar 014.JPG
    sidecar 014.JPG
    490.7 KB · Views: 985
  • bike%20rack%20154[2].JPG
    bike%20rack%20154[2].JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,120
james65, Very nice sidecar. Could I suggest a brake on it. I put one on mine when I built it and it has proven very handy since you won't have to fight the sidecar continuing on after you stop.
Not life threatening but darned annoying.

Steve.

Thank you Steve,
Glad to have that input early in the build as is easier to plan it in rather than retrofit. I have seen your sidecar and mine will be nowhere near as elegant but it will be serviceable. The older sidecars had great leaf spring suspension. I will not go that way due to the amount of work required. Plus I have too many other MB projects lined up after this side car.

James65 / Russell

PS:Your input is even more important as this bike only has a coaster brake now!

I don't like chipping in on your thread and hijacking it but I'll slide a bit of what I found in once and a while if I see something.

Used a disk brake since it was easier because I could source it locally. My sidecar before it was lightened up some what was about a 100lb. Put a new frame under it and knocked off at least 40lbs but still it was a pain so I put the brake back on.
If you have a load on the sidecar you will need it.

Ya, the sidecar got out of hand as well as the bike restoration. With the electric motor and battery I'm in for about $4,000+. Hope the kids enjoy their inheritance as much as I am.

Steve.

Steve,
The very first MB that I built was a rigid mount sidecar with electric drive.
It did not corner well and did a lot of burnouts when I would do a sharp left turn.(sidecar drive was on the right).

I am trying to keep this sidecar build as light as possiable without sacrificing the needed strength. Angle iron would have been easier to work with but just too much weight for my 50cc engine to haul.

There is now a second truss on the other side of the frame. I hope to take the frame for a test run with and without balles to get the feel before going any further. Snow comming so will have to wait a few days.

I am thinking that I will mount the sidecare body to the frame and build suspension into the seat frame.

Once again thanks for the info.

Later
James65/Russell

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f44/32370d1294101479-indian-tadpole-sr005.jpg

Russel, this is the new project. It's a 1903/1908 Indian tri car. Silverbear is building a different style of bike but the tricar will be the same. They will have a Sachs 98cc motor with a 2 speed transmission.

I understand about the electric bikes but they are all that is legal here in Canada. Gas motors can leave you open to a fine up to $5,000. Unregistered,unlicensed, uninsured vehicle.
Don't think that handling and sidecars should be used in the same sentence but by gosh they sure are fun to build.
Was your drive wheel on the sidecar? I had the same problem and then moved it to the rear wheel but haven't done a lot with it since I started the tricar.

Snow? If you don't mind my asking where do you live? I spent a lot of years in upstate New Hampshire and my son still lives in N.H. and upstate New York.

Hope your build works flawlessly.

Steve.

Sidecar

Steve,
I have recently spent a fair amount of time in Amsterdam Netehrlands & China. Most of my taxie rides were on bicycle tri-cars both motored and manual. When far from the cities you see many tri-cars(2 passangers & driver) that don't look that far from the picture except a more modern engine.

As for my 1st electric sidecar build, the drive was the sidecar wheel. After I abondened that with only about 150 mi. I put the elect motor on a mountain bike and ran it through the chainring & gears(DIY freewheel setup) used that bike for 2 seasons(enjoyed it) other than 18 mi. range. I also built a 3 spd. elect.

I have completed the rolling chassis for the BTR sidecar. It weighs 17 lbs. including the wheel. Will do a test run once I get a good day!

James65/Russell

Attachments

• 025_25.JPG
    025_25.JPG
    771.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 015_15.JPG
    015_15.JPG
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 1,097
I took them off an old wheelchair that I bought at a yard sale. He was asking $5 including the charger. felt so guilty I gave him $10.

The geared wheelchair motors sell for $35 and up on e-bay.

James65/Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back