Buell Motorcycles another victim of Obamanomics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

2. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Wow - this thread fell flat just like one of Spanky's!

OooooKaaaayyyyyyy - what do you think of the balloon boy incident? :)

3. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

I never did like the looks of the frame on the Buell bikes....Balloon boy incident seems to be a hoax planned to get some media coverage...but I gotta give that guy credit for building that thing,,was it helium filled?? ..starting to get some ideas now for my next project.

4. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

sorry RC dont know anything about motorcycles... bubble boy family is deranged. I suppose they got a taste of the cameras on wife swap and wanted another 15 min??? I only watched for about 30 seconds to see what the balloon looked like. Those people need counseling. LOL... Maybe SS can help.

5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I thought that the Buell Blast would have made a great bike. When I was looking for a MC, the blast was at the top of my list.

I think their downfall was sticking with the V-Twin configuration when the I-4's dominate in sport bikes. (Probably a Harley directive)

To me, Harley's are both cool and they suck - for the same reason. The uneven firing common crankpin V-Twin is an engineering dinosaur. That "potato potato" sound they tried to trademark is a result of an engineering deficiency. It results in an engine that vibrates and sounds like a sick lawnmower. But I like it because the basic design has survived for decades, and it is nice to see the old uneven firing V-Twin updated with electronic fuel management and soldiering on instead of being just a memory.

But H-D has been relying on this engineering flaw as a basis for all their motorcycles. Hey, howsabout making some modern twin cam, multi-valve I-4 powered bikes to sell along side of the "traditional potato potato" bikes. If this were the case, Buell would have never left H-D to start Buell Motors. (to be re-absorbed by the MoCo, and eventually be terminated) H-D is apparently keeping Erik as an employee even though Buells are not going to be produed anymore. Why didn't they sell the brand? Were they afraid that if Buell was let loose without the constraints of H-D, he would become a powerful rival?

As far as balloon boy goes, it really is starting to look like a hoax.

6. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Yea the HD V Twin..vibration city..not as efficient as more modern design...Dinosaur most definitely but that's what makes it cool and an ongoing part of American history..still on the roads today..never did own one but used to weld/work on some parts for those bikes..they would never accept the smallest defect in workmanship..I admired that

7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

There are three things that will never change -

Death
    Taxes
    Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

-Me

8. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Arceeguy...I like that

9. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Much to the dismay of customers, HD will still handle warrenty claims!

Buell was killed by the HD dealers, not the economy. $4,000 for a 492 CC Blast, had me looking real hard into one! Not a bad deal for what you get. Looked at Lightnings ect. Finally settled, if I was to make a move, it'd be an 883 and I'd punch it out and build the snot out of it! Bang for the buck HP style! I've road a Blast, they handle pretty nice but I don't know if I'd want one on the thruway?

HD had better hope they pay Mr. Buell enought to keep him happy and the customer should hope that they don't! The day Buel free's himself from the grip, we might see and honest American race bike!

10. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

AG, I've got friends who swear by Buell up here! That's all they do is build them!

11. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Did you see what Buell did with the 2010 Blast?
    The 2010 Blast is a 2009 that was put in a crusher. In other words, Buell and H-D thought it was wise to abandon the entry level market altogether. (Before H-D abandoned Buell)

If you want "bang for the buck" HP, don't look at a Harley! The Japanese sport standards (Like my Ninja) offer much faster acceleration than the 883 right out of the box with no mods.

12. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

i love the inline 4 cylinders.theres noway a vtwin can get anywhere near the performance of an inline 4.

did you know that a harley vtwin has two pistons on one piston rod?thats where they get that galloping sound at idle.thats what they have a patent on to.and thats why no one can get that harley sound.

13. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

14. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

not sure if theirs 1 or 2 rods,but they connect to the same spot on the crank shaft.

15. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

There is a separate rod for each piston, but they share a common crankpin. This was done decades ago to make it easier and cheaper to manufacture, it also results in the power pulses being uneven through the rotation of the engine - resulting in the uneven pop-pop-pause-pop-pop sound. They say it is "potato potato", but I say it not very healthy sounding. Other V-Twins have a split crankshaft with each piston getting its own crankpin, and an even firing of the cylinders. But it eliminates the "potato potato", and a lot of the vibration. But we wouldn't want to do that now, would we? At least they don't leak (as much) oil as they did in the 70's. (once again, I keeed, I keeed)

16. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

some of these newer croch rockets redline at 14000 rpm`s if im not mistaking.

17. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

My buddies GSX-R redlines at 14K, he's got a 750cc inline 4, my parallel twin redlines at "only" 11K. While the V-Twins don't rev and have low volumetric efficiency, they are tuned for low end torque and their power curve is flatter. (less shifting to keep in the power band of the engine) My bike revs at around 4500 doing 60mph, a V-Twin cruiser would be revving a whole lot less.

18. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

funny how outlaw bikers still ride harleys.if i were a real outlaw i wouldnt mind a 200 mile per hour machine.

19. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I think for the most part, the "outlaw biker" image associated with H-D is merely an image. Many Harley guys are working professionals, not rebel outlaws. Heck, you need the salary of a PhD to afford one! Most Harley owners don't wrench on their own bikes - they take them to a dealer for maintenance and repairs! But I guess this can be said for all motorcycles in general. Kind of sad really. My bike ain't gonna see the dealer unless there is something that I simply cannot do myself. (like mounting/balancing tires)

The "tuners" of the bike world are putting power commanders on their Japanese sport bikes and tuning EFI curves. If anything, the real biker gangs have turned from choppers to super sport bikes. Lawyers buy Harleys now, which probably really ticks off the hardcore H-D guys - the ones that won't wave if you ain't on a Harley. I wave to everyone on two wheels propelled by an engine.

20. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Arcee I can remember the days when anyone on a motorcycle or in a sports car waved as they went by. The 1% guys waved down low everyone else waved high.

Some of my buds from the old days were in a bike ctub and didn't mind my bike because it was a chopped Triumph. Tried to make it my life style but couldn't.

I'm alive and they aren't. Lifes choices!

Steve