Bugs! Creepy crawlies!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HeadSmess, Feb 12, 2015.

1. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

um...where are they?

has anyone seen them?

maybe its just this year, but theres been virtually no flies...

for australia, in summer...this feels wrong. strange, i havent noticed any in large numbers for a few years actually.

theres been barely any mosquitoes.

the trees that once hummed and throbbed with honey bees... silent.

the cicadas, normally deafening... just the odd chirp.

i noticed, looking at a spider web just now...theres barely been any moths.

not even that many spiders, either.

still crickets chirping away, so it cant all be bad...

or is it?

whats going on?

is it just here, in sydney?

or has anyone else noticed a general decline in flying insects these last few years?

2. HeadSmess

oh...and while its been warm here... some of our warmest temps on record apparently, i dont recall one sleepless sweaty humid night for hmmm...three years?

3. troyg

troyg Member

While my fly season is nothing compared to the stories I've heard from military relations about AU, has anyone accidentally imported the african fire ant?Maybe AU has the +10 version already.In TX when the fire ant moved north, the files/horned toads/lizards and many other creatures were all but wiped out.
    You also mention humidity, no water, little flies.
    The pictures sure are pretty, but some of the crawlies there are scary, not to mention flies in the eyes.

4. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

5. HeadSmess

ill have to get a pic or two of the orb weaver outside my door...

they arent as big as other years. no food. webs staying intact...not being rebuilt anymore...

ive only seen about ten roaches...rather than the standard ten thousand or so.

they havent been replaced by anything else.

im scared. the bees especially. i dont want to live on corn for the rest of a miserable existence as all our plants that use bees to pollinate slowly die off.

had no raspberries this year. normally theres kilograms on these bushes...

oh, its been humid...through the day. swimming in it, virtually. that hasnt changed. gotten worse if anything. but every night has been cool. weird. very weird.

6. butre

butre Well-Known Member

they must have all come here