Build Them, Sell Them, Stimulate The Market

eltatertoto,
Get a second opinion. Most lawyers will tell you that liability release documents aren't worth the paper they are signed on...meaning that you can still be sued simply by claiming gross negligence on your part.

When I sell a bike, I use an email address that doesn't have my real name on it, I don't give my address and meet the buyer at a public place. I only accept cash for the sale and do not offer any proof of the sale..meaning no receipt. I don't make enough money off of selling these bikes to afford a liability insurance policy and don't want to put myself in financial jeopardy. The customer has no proof that they bought the bike from me and I have no problem telling them either when they ask for a receipt and I decline. Some have balked but eventually bought the bike.

thanks a bunch skyliner! coulda got myself in a heap of trouble there. how do ya advertise? i was thinkin putting up a flyer at the grocery store to start. and do ya get like a deposit? or do ya take the money up front?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points. This is why in my earlier thread i said this...."Be affiliated with a local bike shop to help promotions and sales". This would protect you through their business. Other wise do as skyliner70cc said. As always, throw the word "lawyer" into the conversation and take all of the fun out of it.

Last edited:
How do I advertise? I use the internet but found that intentionally driving around populated areas such as Walmart/Home Depot parking lots and neighborhoods works well too! I've had folks hop in their cars and flag me down to get info about my bike(s).

I met a guy back beofre Christmas while out riding around. He finally called me yesterday and wants to take me shopping on Saturday for a bike and accessories. I won him a motor on e-bay yesterday. I have been thinking about the break in period too. I may let him ride one of my bikes until I have his running well. I'll have a riding buddy plus that will give me the opportunity to do maintenance on his bike.

Since 3 bikes is enough for me, I guess it will be fun building them for others. Before MBc my Saturdays were spent rotting on the couch infront of the TV, now I'm in the garage or riding all day saturday.

No problem. I don't take deposits because I have 1-2 bikes for sale at all times and I ride them until I do.

BTW, I do ride on occasion with one of my customers. He was one of the few that I sold a new bike (no miles on it) and he was very disappointed in the engine power for the first several months of use. Once broken in, he's all smiles and couldn't believe the difference in power due to break in.

We have to remember to stress safety, ie: helmets and mirrors. Here in Texas we have to have proof of insurance before you can buy, register or inspect your car. I would want my customer to show me his/her DOT approved helmet and use of hand/turn signals before I let them loose on a motored bike. Plus we should make them aware of any laws we are aware of.

Skyliner, it sounds like you did a great job of teaching your customer about break in and fuel mixture. Id' feel awful if someone scorched their engine early in the game.

personally, I think if you want to make money selling pre-built bikes, you should stand behind your wares
using fake e-mail addys and such makes it kinda shady, (IMHO) and will not give the motoredbike movement a good name
I would never buy something from someone who wasn't upfront with me

personally, I think if you want to make money selling pre-built bikes, you should stand behind your wares
using fake e-mail addys and such makes it kinda shady, (IMHO) and will not give the motoredbike movement a good name
I would never buy something from someone who wasn't upfront with me

I just sold a bike to a friend, and in the price I offered free support for the bike, as long as he pays for materials involved in the fix. I like tinkering with them too much not to offer this kind of service.

Back