Build Your Own LED Turn Signals!

well, it worked fine for 2 hrs, while i was riding. it was when i was taping when i touched 2 wires, and the coinnection to the mosefet was red hot. that battery puts out tons of amps. i think ill just start over, cause now ive done it once, and it willl looka lot better.

well, it worked fine for 2 hrs, while i was riding. it was when i was taping when i touched 2 wires, and the coinnection to the mosefet was red hot. that battery puts out tons of amps. i think ill just start over, cause now ive done it once, and it willl looka lot better.

Woah. So one of the connections was glowing hot even before the catastrophic failure happened? Even before you might have accidentally shorted out two pins? If so, this is bad, and this problem will likely happen again. You're running 2 halogens on each Mosfet, right?

Well, if it worked well for you for 2 hours, then I'd guess it was a short of some kind. But if any of the components get hot enough to burn you if you touched them, something is wrong. Hope circuit #2 works out well!

noooooo, it was red hot when it happened, nothing was hot, it was all working fine, then when i touched the 2 opposite wires thats when it went. im not suprised either. that battery puts out a carp load of amps. it was my fault for touching positive and negative. it was completely fine and in working order before.

I just figured out what you were talking about re: chatting. Lol. I'll definitely try to catch you guys on that sometime.

well, i worked for an hr today, (last night i only did step 1) and i am up to the second wire on the mosfets. but i dropped the iron, and now i have 2 nice sized burns on my hand. so i quit for the night. hope to finish tommrow.

p.s. my room smells like burnt skin now....UGH!

hey, rock. i got the new ones wired up. but for some reason one light wont blink. in both positions of the switch it stays solid. can u tell me what it might be? the other 1 blinks fine.....

Ok. So one light goes from blinking to solid just fine, and the other one is just solid, no matter the switch position. Basically, this means that the non-working LED always has ground connected to it, regardless of the output of the CD4047BE (which we know is working properly, due to the other LED). Therefore, it could be:

1) Both pins 4 and 6 on the switch are connected to ground, or they are somehow accidentally shorted to each other (referencing the switch pinout I posted earlier).

2) You have your source pin and your drain pin flip-flopped on that mosfet. Be sure the pinout matches up with the circuit diagram.

3) Your drain pin and source pin on that mosfet are accidentally shorted to each other. Check to be sure there isn't any stray solder making a connection between the two.

4) Your mosfet is blown and is shorting out (I really doubt that this is the case). To check this, with the circuit powered down (no battery), measure the resistance between the source and the drain. If it is <10 ohms, then the mosfet is bad.

That's about all I can think of. Post again if none of these do the trick, and I'll try to come up with something else. Good luck!

thanks rock! its too dark. but in the mornin ill check. should be fun-its one big hunk of hot glue lol.

Back