Building a dirt bike... Out of a bicycle?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Khamsin, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

Hey there, I'm getting ready to build my first motorized bicycle However I'm looking to make it resemble a dirt bike. I've seen so many people make cruisers, choppers and cafe racers but never a dirt bike. Is there anyone out there with the same intents?. dr400.jpg

This company made something sort of like what I want. 2012-0822-CA-Arrow-PHOTO-B-Arrow-left.jpg buuut the wheels are too big and the fork is too short. same goes for the rear fender. I need to keep the pedals from striking the ground too. I don't want to have to remove them. If I do I'd be doomed by the law.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Dan Kelton's #888 full suspension bike will be racing at Socal Motor Bicycle Racing's
    event on Oct 17th 2015 at Grange Motor Circuit in Apple Valley.

11802699_558761560922201_4710839570251048416_o.jpg

Insolint likes this.
  3. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

I've seen that one before. Not bad really but I'm looking to put on the dirt bike saddle and any other plastics that make it as close to a dirt bike as possible.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

people have used the plastics off those little 12 inch kids bikes that look like dirt bikes before. always turns out pretty good

Khamsin likes this.
  5. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

Hmm.. what about removing the electrical parts and putting a motor on a Mongoose CX450? is that possible ? 4 stroke engine or something like a predator 212?

6. Barnfresh

Barnfresh Member

Save your money and build a Motoped
    http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...e63/t/53ee7410e4b007ea1d9170b3/1408136232586/

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

you may be the first person in history to suggest that a motoped is the cheap way to do something

Khamsin and butterbean like this.
  8. Barnfresh

Barnfresh Member

Haha nothing cheap about a Motoped Butre, far from it. Re-read my post I said save your money, not save money however I probably should have said save up your money. You're right though Motoped is not a cheap route to go but it may give the op some ideas on using pitbike plastic which is dirt cheap!

Khamsin likes this.
  9. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I see, I interpreted it as save your money by getting a motoped rather than save your money so you can get a motoped

pitbike plastic is a good idea too

10. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

I do find motopeds interesting but Id rather do things my own way :) Oh I have two other ideas that actually would work out alot better than this xD Board track racer / cruiser style OR a Streetfighter / bob style bike. I cant find the person that did the street fighter to save my life.
    1AA71B40-254E-47DE-8453-0E74C987DE75_zpsstcppqy5.jpg
    I cant seem to find parts to get that vintage dirt bike look :(

11. SunkyWorks

SunkyWorks Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't know about a 212 on that. would be a ***** to mount

I love puch frames though. the underframe mount brings it together, really makes it look unique

13. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

This person has the right idea. ohsnap.png

14. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

Just with... longer forks and smaller tires then it would look great.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  15. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

I think my trek 4900 frame might work for this.

16. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

mmmmm, gt lts frames.... always distinctive.

plastics? add plastics? first freaking things i pull off! horrible nasty blingy bits that add weight and are a nuisance to remove cus the screws always stripped and needs a spanner and you find the previous fool used some exotic type of unnameable size nut...

17. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

18. SunkyWorks

SunkyWorks Member

52cc Stage 2 CAG CVT powered X-Games Motobike

(Not my MAB)

Attached Files:

19. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

Looks promising. and it mounts under the bike?

20. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

keep in mind that to have very much rear wheel travel you have to make the drive sprocket close to the swingarm pivot point