Building first motobike

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by caddymankc, Mar 22, 2008.

1. caddymankc

caddymankc Guest

Hi im kinda new here, im getting a 80cc motor off ebay from boygofast.How are the clutches on these engines?, im not the lightest person. Is there anything i should do to the motor to make it last longer before i run it?Iver read about sanding the flash from the casting anything else?Also how good of brakes do i need, ive got a huge frame shwinn road bike that has only front brakes.Thanks in advance:kc

2. motoschwinn

motoschwinn Guest

Get the brakes safe before you put on the motor. You'll need front and rear brakes.
  3. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Front AND rear brakes are an absolute necessity. As for weight, I hover around 250 lbs and my motor has no problems hauling me around. Just remember that it is not a motorcycle, Baby it.
  4. mickey

mickey Guest

I echo Zev, a motored bike is not a motorcycle. Baby it. While its possible to slip the clutch from a dead stop (with a 44+ rear sprocket) the more you pedal off the line, the longer your clutch and engine will last. I pedal to at least 5 and more often about 10 mph before dumping the clutch.

Squirt some 2 stroke oil in through the spark plug hole for that first start and remember to file/grind the sides of the teeth on the rear sprocket or the chain will most likely jump off on your first roll.
  5. caddymankc

caddymankc Guest

I got it running today, i haven't been up to full throttle for more than 5 seconds at a time.I put it on a moon dog from walmart and i smashed the frame until it fit.The first moon dogs frame was cracked so i exchanged it. Thanks to everybody for the help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  6. mickey

mickey Guest

Rock on!