Building my own gas tank

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by iRide Customs, May 23, 2007.

1. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

This morning after watching those great videos of board track bikes, I decided that if I am going to make a frame for my Skyhawk I should probably make a custom tank for it too.

Here's a trial run to see if I could do it. This is a miniature tank made of 20g. steel and when I do make it for the bike I will step it up to maybe 18 or 16g. steel.

1194_HPIM0325_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0326_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0327_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0328_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0329_1.jpg

2. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

me likes it :razz:

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

if the practice one looks that well crafted...the final is something I can't wait to see
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Since that is just your dumb ole practice tank, you might as well give it to when you are done with it!!! HEE HEE :razz:

5. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Thanks guys and I would give it away but it's only 4'' long. I wanted to see how the welder worked on the really small, really thin stuff. The next tank may or may not look like that one.

I guess it could be used as a paper weight. :razz:

6. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Nice, I wanted to make my own custom tank, but I didn't have the materials, time, money, or know how to get it done. Hope yours turns out well!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

...or a spare oil tank.

8. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Well, here's my feeble attempt at the real deal. LOTS of work to build this thing! I think I will have carpal (sp) tunnel in my right wrist from all the grinding! Looks like it may hold a gallon and half or so?? I guess I should have seen if I can mod the frame to accept the engine before I did all this work...oh well.

Dan

1194_HPIM0333_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0334_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0332_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0331_1.jpg

9. Kielohawk

Kielohawk Guest

That is freakin sweet!! 1 1/2 Gallons? Wow. talk about going some miles in between fill-ups!!

Dan

10. retro_racer

retro_racer Guest

Oh yea baby,Iride thats exactly how I built my tank for my toy.I brazed in some threaded inserts,and found some 1 inch conduit clamps.A couple of pieces of old inner tubs,and I was done.If you have any small leaks,and you can't get them to seal that tank sealer realy works great too.

11. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

LOL...I'm sure it will have it's share of leaks to start with. I am going to try and seal most of them with the welder first and then if I can't get them all I will use the sealer. The conduit hangers are what I had in mind for mounting, I think I should be able to find 1.5'' ones somewhere. If not I will just make something. I need to find an old cheap gas tank that has a bung and cap that I can graft onto this one. Guess that will come in time...got to finish the hard part first. I am very excited about my first tank! Maybe, if there is room on the bike, I will make a comparment that will hold my tools for those long distance rides.

Dan

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

so "brutus" is the one, dan? good call 8)

i was wondering about chain clearance...this is a pic of vinnie's chopper, he routed the chain nicely, imo:
    325_IMG_0573_1.jpg

the tank looks great :)

13. retro_racer

retro_racer Guest

help!!!!

Iride,
    If you can't get the clamps let me know.I can and there in 3 packs cheap too.
    Another thing that I used to stop leaks.You can always use brass,and braze the small leaks.
    I also found that a small propane torch,some soldering flux(loads),and some lead works great too.Its easyer to sand off,and thats always a plus.Those old wheel weights from cars are an awsome lead alloy,and most places will save the stuff for you.(by all means use a very well ventalated place when using the lead),and don't breath directly in the fumes.

14. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I love it, it's awesome! I also like the front forks your using for that bike. Flip the handlebars and lower the seat and you got a fine board track bike. :grin:

15. lotsa_mpg

lotsa_mpg Guest

Dean, that is an amzing work of art. It's almost too nice to put gas in. I noticed you are still in search of a bung. I'll attach a pic of something I use a fair bit. It's a simple rubber insert bung that slips into about a half inch hole. Then the long part of the metal fitting pushes into the rubber bung and causes the rubber bung to expand and seal. They work pretty slick and I haven't had much probs with them leaking. If it looks like it might work for you, you should be able to snag one at a snowmobile dealership. Kimpex part # is 07-276.

Pete
    1548_Picture_121_1.jpg

16. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

That's kind of what I was thinking for this build. Maybe a nice maroon and light tan color combo or maybe a pistachio and cream color combo?

The fork are going to have to go by the wayside...maybe. I guess that depends on what wheel I go for on the back. If I find a decent multi speed coaster brake they stay.

If I don't do that, I have a rear Shimano disc brake hub that I have mounted a sprocket to, and that means no rear brakes. If that's the case I will be going with a modern mountain bike suspension fork and frant disc brake.

Dan

17. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

NO BRAKES! Stay true to your roots.

18. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

LOL...going too fast is what just about paralyzed me :shock:

Here's a couple of crappy pics of the almost finished tank. Looks like I will only need about 2 tablespoons worth of bondo to make it look decent.

1194_HPIM0336_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0337_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0338_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0339_1.jpg
    1194_HPIM0342_1.jpg

19. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

dude...that's art

20. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Looking good, I noticed when you have it in the frame the front of it doesn't quite fill the space in the frame, is this intentional?