Building my own gas tank

LOL...I'm sure it will have it's share of leaks to start with. I am going to try and seal most of them with the welder first and then if I can't get them all I will use the sealer. The conduit hangers are what I had in mind for mounting, I think I should be able to find 1.5'' ones somewhere. If not I will just make something. I need to find an old cheap gas tank that has a bung and cap that I can graft onto this one. Guess that will come in time...got to finish the hard part first. I am very excited about my first tank! Maybe, if there is room on the bike, I will make a comparment that will hold my tools for those long distance rides.

Dan

so "brutus" is the one, dan? good call 8)

i was wondering about chain clearance...this is a pic of vinnie's chopper, he routed the chain nicely, imo:
325_IMG_0573_1.jpg

the tank looks great :)

help!!!!

Iride,
If you can't get the clamps let me know.I can and there in 3 packs cheap too.
Another thing that I used to stop leaks.You can always use brass,and braze the small leaks.
I also found that a small propane torch,some soldering flux(loads),and some lead works great too.Its easyer to sand off,and thats always a plus.Those old wheel weights from cars are an awsome lead alloy,and most places will save the stuff for you.(by all means use a very well ventalated place when using the lead),and don't breath directly in the fumes.

I love it, it's awesome! I also like the front forks your using for that bike. Flip the handlebars and lower the seat and you got a fine board track bike. :D

Dean, that is an amzing work of art. It's almost too nice to put gas in. I noticed you are still in search of a bung. I'll attach a pic of something I use a fair bit. It's a simple rubber insert bung that slips into about a half inch hole. Then the long part of the metal fitting pushes into the rubber bung and causes the rubber bung to expand and seal. They work pretty slick and I haven't had much probs with them leaking. If it looks like it might work for you, you should be able to snag one at a snowmobile dealership. Kimpex part # is 07-276.

Pete
1548_Picture_121_1.jpg

JosephGarcia said:
I love it, it's awesome! I also like the front forks your using for that bike. Flip the handlebars and lower the seat and you got a fine board track bike. :D

That's kind of what I was thinking for this build. Maybe a nice maroon and light tan color combo or maybe a pistachio and cream color combo?

The fork are going to have to go by the wayside...maybe. I guess that depends on what wheel I go for on the back. If I find a decent multi speed coaster brake they stay.

If I don't do that, I have a rear Shimano disc brake hub that I have mounted a sprocket to, and that means no rear brakes. If that's the case I will be going with a modern mountain bike suspension fork and frant disc brake.

Dan

LOL...going too fast is what just about paralyzed me :eek:

Here's a couple of crappy pics of the almost finished tank. Looks like I will only need about 2 tablespoons worth of bondo to make it look decent.

1194_HPIM0336_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0337_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0338_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0339_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0342_1.jpg

Looking good, I noticed when you have it in the frame the front of it doesn't quite fill the space in the frame, is this intentional?

Back