Built for comfort, speed, and distance

This bike was bought specifically to be motorized.

. It was decided that a Recumbent would be best. BUT in spite of it's high level of comfort, they have a few too many shortcomings (like motor right behind head; loss of speed / momentum on corners; heaviest of weights on small motors = early rebuilds and slow slow slow acceleration).

. It was also decided that standard street & city bikes are designed too upright for long periods of riding time. They are designed like this specifically because they have to be completely pedal-worthy. Hey, don't get me wrong, if you're pedaling they are a great way to go.

. Lastly it was decided that dual suspension mtn bikes, while they do add comfort, they are primarily more comfortable over your city bike ONLY during bumps and the like. And one is still stuck sitting in a "pedal-worthy" riding position with too much weight on hands and wrists. Basically the extra money suspension costs could be spend on a better designed frame.

So, enter the Electra Townie. Can you see how comfortable this bike is to sit on, and ride all over town just for the fun of it? It has over 700 motorized miles on it so far, and will continue to get used throughout the winter months.

We have more pics, and a video clip too.

Attachments

• DSCN2800.jpg
    DSCN2800.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 819
  • DSCN2810.jpg
    DSCN2810.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited by a moderator:
yes that Electra Townie looks like a bike with good riding posture. If I can ask flailer how tall are you? just asking to give everyone a "scale for fit" to compare from the photo with you sitting on it. Ride on.....flailer

Yup, that does look like a comfortable ride. That crank must be a half a foot ahead of the seat tube. And that looks like a very good idea.

About 6 ft tall.

Note how tall the handle bars are. And how the bike is designed around one's legs being out in front of you, rather than under the saddle. (Edit: oh, i only just saw BlueGoatWoods post)

Note too that the bike has a VERY wide gear ratio. First gear is very low, prolly yielding less than 24" of travel. Pedal assist, regardless of speed, is very do-able.

The bike is not so much classic or retro, but it does have flare, in my opinon. It has a major coolness factor. The local kids all like to check it out.....
.... If a 50 year old wasnt sitting on it, it would be a chick magnet. lol :cool:

Last edited:
nice bike
I had been looking at some of those Electra's -- I like those
I had wondered about the motor rack -- where it connects to frame -- near seat
any chance you can post a close up of that connection point ?

have fun as you ride that cool MB THING

Thanks Alex !

i'd like to take a closer look at the first seat.

Have you tried it? Has anyone here tried it?

It is a sensitive topic to be sure, but i have suffered penile numbness (cough cough) in the past, and your first link seems like it offers a solution - but not having tried it i am unsure.

Talk to me!

Yes, MountainMan, i can.

i just looked through the pics i have and they are not good enough / close enough for what your asking.

It is a great question as the standard mounting rack, as supplied by vendor, has been modified. Why; because the bike frame is diff enough from standard to make doing so worth it.

Don't get me wrong, my brother and i mounted up the kit as supplied and put many-a-mile on the rig as supplied by the vendor - but a small mod was done in order to level the rack, so that in the near future we could start carrying loads on the rack (even if it is only the once a month gas run w a gallon gas can on board)(once a month; read 128 miles per gallon - hahaaaa)

Cheers to all,

With a 26" (diameter) wheel, 24" of travel is less than 1/3 of a revolution of the rear wheel. That means that you would have to turn the crank more than three times to travel less than seven feet.

Usually bicycle gearing is referred to in "inch gears". (By those in the know.) Inch gears relates back to high wheeled bikes, and is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the chainwheel by the number of teeth on the rear cog, then multiplying by the diameter of the wheel. Then, with one revolution of the crank, the wheel will travel the distance of a wheel of the calculated diameter.( Times Pi = the circumference)

With one revolution of the crank equaling one revolution of the wheel, and traveling 24"
The wheel would have to be around 7-1/2" in diameter.

BTW I dig the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back