Built my first track bike(fixie)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joshboy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Joshboy

Joshboy Guest

I just finished building my first fixed gear bicycle. Im not sure if a lot of people know what that is, but basically its a road bike with no gears, no freewheel, and no brakes. You must always be pedaling until you want to slow down, then you have to stop pedaling but fight the momentum of the wheel... Its dangerous, but i must admit that it is much more fun to ride than my motorbike...:grin: and much more attractive. Due to the simplicity and light weight it can really get up and go.Check it out

Attached Files:

2. jahmez20

jahmez20 Member

Wow, beautiful bike! I've thought about going fixed with an older schwinn. I did notice no brakes... A lot of people run fronts to assist with leg power. What brand and year frame is that?
  3. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Fixed gear is used to develop cardio fitness and leg speed in early season training for road racing. It can be a great commuter and it does not hurt to add a front brake. Domenic a coach I learned from had us work up to 60 mile rides on a 39X16 fixed gear.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. bushido

bushido Member

very cool style. love it.
  5. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I love the complete black and white color scheme. It looks great.
  6. Joshboy

Joshboy Guest

Yea I threw a front brake on it last night. As for the frame, i'm not really sure who it's made by, I think its a large package frame that came from china. It was cheap and it had horizontal drop outs so started with that, and built my way up.
  7. Zach

Zach New Member

8. sparky

sparky Active Member

Gorgeous bike!!

When I grow up in 20 years, I wanna have a bike just like yours!
  9. Yea Fixies are cool. Yours is what i would do if I had one.
    Spendid job!

I'd try to ride mine backwards. I bet that would be fun.

Are fixie wheels modified,or does the sprocket screw on like a freewheel?

Are they welded on?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Large, fixies are for them skinny hyperthyroidal types whose thighs are bigger than their waist. Stopping one is a matter of force applied by you, and since force required is the product of mass (in your case large) times velocity (knowing you, also high), the result wouldn't be pretty.
  11. But it would be exciting I'm sure!
  12. sjackson

sjackson Member

I have a ton of friends who ride fixies. One of them ended up doing a face plant into a steel fence because he couldn't stop in time. Broke his jaw. Now he's addicted to painkillers. Ride with a brake and give yourself plenty of time to react. I'm considering picking up this Schwinn 80s era steel frame road bike, and converting it into a one speed... but I'm still putting a freewheel on it.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  13. sparky

sparky Active Member

Soo.. most fixies have a coaster brake only? or not even that? And most don't have handbrakes either?

I'm confused.
  14. bushido

bushido Member

no brakes at all on most of them!

the pedals are "locked in". as long as the wheels spin the pedals do. you stop by resisting the pedals from rotating. You definitely have to plan ahead while riding one because it takes a while to stop. I think fixed gears are pretty stupid for a bike that you ride around town, if you're racing on a velodrome thats one thing...
  15. sparky

sparky Active Member

Wow... fixie is a great name for this style bike. It really specifies the gearing better than one could imagine, and it sounds thrilling... prolly a good bit better than some hardcore drugs.

"I'm gotta go get my fix on the fixie, hun... be right back!"

I want one now, even tho this is prolly more dangerous than a regular motored bike.
  16. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

fixed gear hubs are specially made see this page for some examples... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html
    There is a step with the larger diameter taking a freewheel thread but usually only a single non ratcheted cog. The smaller diameter is reverse thread and has a lockring that keeps the cog from coming off under braking. Braking is cool because usually you just slow the legs down and it slows the bike right down. For road riding it is considered wise to have a front brake to assist. On a track everybody has the same setup so nobody will stop suddenly in front of you. Well that is if he does not crash in front of you.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  17. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

By the way for those who want to pedal fast enough and with power enough to help their motored bike out the fixed gear is the main training aid for pedal speed and quickness. Every winter/spring a lot of bike racers are riding their first 4 to 6 weeks on fixed gear, my coach recommended 60 gear inches or a 42 th Chain ring and 18 th rear cog. The few years I did this I developed the ability to pedal very smoothly and relaxed.
    AzBill knows Shea Blvd that goes from Scottsdale to Fountain hills. I remember riding a 60 mile loop that included that stretch and after struggling up out of Scottsdale I will never forget the effort it took to relax on the bike as it streaked down the hill with my legs spinning so fast. The tendency is to bounce up and down but that disrupts the circles you have to pedal. Either you let your body work it out or you will probably never get on a fixie again. After more than 20 years my body still remembers how to pedal circles from a relaxed perch on that skinny seat so many people hate.