Bummer Castor Oil Price has gone up!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skyliner70cc, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Last year I paid $21 for a gallon of AA degummed Castor oil (Sig Manufacturing) and this year it was $27.87.

I'm thinning it out 50/50 with the cheapest stuff from Walmart (TCWIII stuff). TCWIII is not rated for aircooled engines but when blended with castor oil it is perfectly suited for all of my 2 strokes (weedwacker, tiller, motored bikes, gas rc engines, and even premix for my snowmobiles) Good thing a gallon of castor lasts me an entire year.

Wish me luck, I'm going to go on a 35 mile ride up hill to the summit of Cottonwood pass tomorrow. Due to carb problems on my old build, I'm going to use my new build which has about 25 miles of total use on the engine. Should be a great way to break in the engine even further. Sidenote: Don't worry, 25 miles on engine consist of nothing but 1/2 mile runs up hill by my house followed by idling coastdown to bottom of hill and repeating again and again and again at various throttle settings for the ride up the hill.

For those not in the know, the benefits of castor are:
    1. Superior high pressure lubrication
    2. High flash point means it remains a liquid longer in the engine thus doing its job of lubricating until it flashes (burns off).
    3. If engine overheats, castor will not fail and engine won't seize because it forms a dry film at high temps that is an even better lubricant than when in liquid form. I can vouch for this fact with numerous engines abused climbing steep mountain grades at full throttle at low speeds meaning less cooling, engine exhaust turning cherry red, and engine head becoming discolored.

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Good luck! All motor oils are getting steeper in $$ friggin crazy.

3. Skyliner70cc

Yes, its crazy how much stuff has gone up in price lately. 30% increase in price in one year is crazy.

As for my upcoming hill climb, some of you might wonder how I compensate for changes in altitude. Its fairly easy. In my main fuel tank I have fuel blended at 32:1 oil to fuel ratio, the fuel is 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol. My rear tank is blended at 25:1 oil to fuel ratiio, and the fuel is 70% gasoline and 30% ethanol. I'll start out on the front tank and as I lose power climbing up to 12,126 feet, I'll gradually introduce fuel from the rear tank and somewhere around 10,500 feet is where I'll probably run nothing but rear tank fuel until I start going back down again.

4. BonusParts

BonusParts New Member

noob question, but how exactly does the ethanol addition help with the thinner air? i know how the fuel would affect an automotive engine, but in a single cyl 2 stroke - im unclear.

5. Skyliner70cc

Alcohol burns at a different air/fuel ratio. Increasing the amount of alcohol (ethanol) effectively caused engine to run leaner.....engines run richer at higher altitudes (less air) so my messing with blends trys to take this into account.