bump start vs rope start

dougsr.874

Local time
8:43 AM
Recently I ordered a recoil starter for a HuaSheng 4 stroke engine...This genius at BikeBerry sent me a recoil starter for a 2 stroke Happy Time engine. With the return freight & their restocking charge it is not feasible to return the part....So my question is:: can this recoil starter be used on a regular bump start HT engine that I already have....If it can then there obviously has to be another part that mounts on the engine itself for the recoil starter to engage....Is this conversion in reason or should I just shelve the part and chalk it up...

yes, it can be used on a 2 stoke, but you may be missing a peice. There is a "U" shaped peice that bolts to the crankshaft where the magneto is. This "U" peice is what the re-coil starter connects to, to spin the crankshaft. without the "U" shaped peice, the re-coil starter will just spin and not make a connection with the crankshaft. Engines that came without a re-coil starter originally, will not have the "U" shaped peice on the end of the crankshaft.
I'm not sure if that "U" shaped peice came with your re-coil starter or not, but if it did, then all you should have to do is bolt it to the end of the crankshaft, and bolt on the re-coil starter.

The recoil starter DID NOT come with the U shaped piece you are speaking of....can it be bought seperately??? and from whom?

Pull start

Seems strange, a ht pull start weather ordered by accident or not should com with the lugged plate.

Attachments

• pull start kit 001.JPG
    pull start kit 001.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 206
  • pull start kit 002.JPG
    pull start kit 002.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 224
yes, that is the peice i am referring to...the lugged plate.
I do not have an engine with a pull start, so i was going off of memory from my friends. His pull starter broke, so we pulled it off, and i remember seeing that plate under it. I was thinking that it was a "U" shape, but your pic. shows it as the peice i was talking about, and with the correct name (lugged plate).
Thanks for correcting me, and getting the right information to him with a pic.

pull start

Motorpsycho,
I wasn't correcting you, I knew that you knew what you were talking about.

I was just trying to clarify it. I think first I would contact the original vendor. If no response I would sen an e-mail to BGF. I have seen neg. about BGF but they have helped me out with pull start parts in the past(plastic pawl ect.).
Perhaps buy a new one and use this one for spare parts(tey will be needed sooner or later).
BE SURE THE CLUTCH LEVER IS PULLED BEFOR PULLING(if not you may be looking for parts).

Still Confused::..The recoil starter I have has the notched plate attached to the inside of the starter....but there still has to be something on the engine itself for the notched plate to engage...btw , the initails ZM are on the outside of the starter.

Any chance you can take a picture. Does it look like the one in the earlier post?

The second part in the picture is the part that attaches to the engine crank shaft.

Sorry, I can't send picture right now....MY starter has a 4 notchs and is came already screwed to the rotating plate....but the notched plate is not dished like yours.

Back