Busted

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by uncle_punk13, Jun 17, 2008.

1. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I tore into the hot rod whizzer yesterday and my initial suspicions from a year ago are correct. The rings are fried and and the cylinder is scored. I told ya' so... I need to stop second guessing myself, as I am usually correct in my instincts. It's okay, I have the most of the parts and machineries to take care of this. I just need the rings for the O.S. piston, and hope I can find some. I am also holding to the hope that I can get it done in a month and a half (and redo the break in) in time for the "100 Years of Motorcycling" event in Eastern Washington at the end of July... Keep on keepin' on y'all!!!:cool:

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hey unc; are you planning to make the show and swap in centrallia? mitch

3. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Uncle punk 13 Talk to Augi today and he said you might need somethings to get back on the road .If you do let me know .. Bill green Vancouver Whizzer

4. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Hey Mitch,
    Unfortunately I work weekends, so I have to really choose which events I attend. I won't be going to that one but WILL be attending the Ocean Park rally in August.
    Hi Bill!!! Thanks so much for the offer and I will take youy up on that. As soon as I get my Dart back on the road, and figure out exactly what all I need, I put in the word with ya' and come down to pick it all up when it arrives. Coffee's on me that day!!!
    Rif

5. bill green

bill green Member

Howdy Ready when you are ... Bill

6. How old

How many miles did you get before this happenned?

7. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Hi Zombie,
    I'd rather not say as it was a stupid, amatuer mistake; but when I first fired it I had the carb assembled wrong (slide in backwards) and the rpms redlined in an instant. I think that's when things went bad, then I really pushed her hard before copmpleting break in. My own fault, and I accept that. :rolleyes:

I took the head into work and while running inconel brackets, with a two hour run time, I hand lapped the surface to check for warpage. Yeah there is definately warpage there, so I stood there during my 14 1/2 hour day and hand lapped the son of a gun back to a decent flat mating surface... Tomorrow i'll be back in my workshop and I'll pull the cylinder to take into work with me and talk to the boss man about boring and honing for that o.s. piston.,
    I'd like to ask some of you experts out there about how much room we have for o.s. valves, as I've a set I'd like to install but they are HUGE (Woodstock Whizzer stainless O.S. valves). Is there room with the stock seats to machine for these valves or will these not work as not having enough seat in the NE cylinder casting assy? Thanx all,
    Rif

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  8. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Rif,
    Sorry, I was asked to stop supplying so much information on this site. If you want answers, please PM me.
    Quenton

9. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Guys As A dealer for Whizzer I understand why he has to watch was he says . We all have to keep in mind about uncle sam and the epa. Its one thing for offroad use and another for on the street .And I know we all want to keep A great thing going . With that said I respect Quentions stand on this.... So time to ride and have fun.... Thank you Bill Green Vancouver Whizzer

10. Quenton Guenther

Hi All,
    Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond sooner, but I received over a hundred emails [in a couple of hours], and my PM box is 99%, and one phone call after another. WOW I just found out how big this site really is.
    I will still supply help to anyone that requests it. I will still answer posts on this great site. I have a very, very, very, large supply of OEM Whizzer parts if needed, however It will be necessary to PM me for special rates [got to follow the rules].
    Bill it has nothing to do with EPA or anything close, but more to do with selling parts. Often when Whizzer owners contact me, it is over an upgrade or a needed replacement part. If I remove myself from the mainstream [as suggested], then the company or person supplying the needed information will most likely [99%] make a parts sale. As most of the members of this site already know, I don't really prophit a great deal from supplying Whizzer replacement or upgrade parts, and do most of it because of my passion for Whizzer motorbikes. And I certainly don't want to limit anyones choice of where to purchase Whizzer parts.
    Now plan "B", instead of my informative posts, I will simply answer all questions posted on this site. "If you ask, I will answer". If you need replacement or upgrade parts I will supply them. If you need your Whizzer motor repaired, rebuilt, or upgraded I will now offer this service [PM me for details & prices]. This special service will also include automatic clutch upgrades, hi RPM oil breather systems, and part alignment services.

I now hope everyone is happy.

Since Rif asked a question, here is the answer. Sorry, but the Woodstock Whizzer valves supplied by Ralph Westman in IL. will not work in the NE Whizzer cylinder without replacing the valve seats, they are just way too big. BTW I have a set of his valves on the shelf just in case anyone wants to give it a try. The second problem you will encounter is the small, if any, increase in performance unless you also increase the valve pocket I.D. by approx. 20%.

Have fun
    Whizzer Outerbanks LTD.
    Quenton

11. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Thanks Quenton I do appreciate it. I've got a couple more questions but I'll P.M. ya for that. I kinda figured about the valve pocket... ;-)
    Basically what I'm up to is experimenting, since I gotta tear it down anyway, I just want to do some testing with these things to see for myself. I'm working on some things secretly down in the lab... I don't want to reveal too much at this point, but one of these experiments might be that I'm playing with head designs. I needed the mating surface back to flat, smooth, parallel, perpendicular, square, whatever; in order for a great seal. The shop down the row in the same complex as mine does flow charting of cylinder heads for any mechanical thing, and I want to see what ways I might be able to improve upon this, when I machine my own head, with different fin design for (hopefully) better cooling. And since the Albion deal didn't come through, I'm working on my own transmission utilizing one of my small Honda parts bikes. I know, there's only so much you can do with these and if I want to go 90+ M.P.H. I'll jump on my Honda Nighthawk 550, but sometimes I just do things just to do them and see what will happen... I just have to see for myself sometimes. Honestly sometimes it really isn't even the end result that matters; much of the time it is in the doing, in and of itself and merely for the sake of itself, that matters.
    Anyway, have fun y'all.
    Rif

12. bill green

bill green Member

Hi all sorry Quention I stand corrected.....Bill Green

13. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Just thinking out loud here, I'll do an actual P.M. to ya Quenton, but- I wonder how much room there is in the valve seats for recutting and lapping? I can have the stainless O.S. valves turned and ground. I'd still like to experiment with larger valve size in the Whiz...

14. Quenton Guenther

Hi Rif, PM me and I will share the requested information with you. My last dyno test netted over 10 HP with a max 8820 RPMs. Not bad for a "flat head" motor. It is important to note as Bill Green correctly stated this information is for "off road" use only, and should not be applied to a Whizzer used on the street. And I agree with you that it isn't the end result, but rather the journey that is the most fun.

Have fun,
    Quenton

15. Quenton Guenther

If anyone wants to play with larger valves, I will sell my USED 2003 Whizzer Panther with the Woodstock Whizzer works cylinder installed. Currently the motor is considered stock because the valves are stock, the carburetor is stock, the head is stock, the camshaft is a stock NE camshaft with stock Whizzer mushroom lifters. The motor is restriced with the 9.5 MM restrictor plate [to keep it under 30 MPH] because of the rear coaster brake.
    Because the cylinder is cast it doesn't have valve seats, so the valve size can be altered [not recommended because of the increased speed] very easily.

Price $1800.00 plus shipping

Whizzer OuterBanks LTD.
    A North Carolina Corporation
    Quenton "Lee" Guenther
    252-475-0406 cell phone
    quincy163@yahoo.com

16. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Okay, I realized that I have a complete spare engine. I didn't really want to break it down for parts, but at this point it is my best option in order to make repairs and then continue to re-do this bike with some of my other ideas and some available factory improvements. I'll do this so I can get it to Rosalia m/c meet in July. I'll muck about with some of my experimenting later on, but right now I just want and need to get it up and rolling for the show, and try out some of my minor inventions to see how well they work. Bill Green, Can you P.M. me with your phone # so I can place an order for some things?
    Thanks all for your input,
    Rif Addams

Attached Files:

17. Quenton Guenther

Hi Rif, If Bill doesn't have all the parts you need, let me know. I have everthing in stock, except the automatic clutches. I have a complete motor, cylinders, heads [several versions, including WC-1, NE, and Ambassador], camshafts [both NE & WC-1], pistons, rings, carburetors, gaskets, breathers, intake & exhaust manifolds, gas tanks [including chrome], belts, bolts, nuts, mounts, ignition parts, etc, etc.
    Bill if you need any parts for Rif that you don't have in stock [or can't obtain at the moment], let me know and I can send them to him for you. I have thousands of Whizzer parts, including NOS "vintage" parts. I even have rebuilt "H", "J", and "300" motors in stock if needed.

Whizzer OuterBanks LTD
    Quenton "Lee" Guenther
    252-475-0406 cell
    quincy163@yahoo.com

18. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

You're the man Quenton! Thank you for your help. When it comes to my whizzer obsessions, I try to "spread the love" amongst the dealers. So I'm not trying to slight you, but wanted to give some of that business towards a local dealer. :smile: Plus it would give me a good excuse to go visit and have a cup o' joe and some conversation; It's only about a three hour ride on the nighthawk from here to visit and get the goods.
    Rif

19. Quenton Guenther

Hi Rif,
    I like your plan of "spreading the love". Bill and I both stock a lot of parts, and work hard to keep the parts inventory up to date. If one of us is out of something, we can work together to make sure everyone has access to any parts needed. Bill knows my parts are available if needed, and I know he will send parts my way if needed.
    Hope you can visit with him soon, as I am sure he would enjoy spending time talking motorbikes with you.

Have fun,
    Whizzer OuterBanks LTD
    Quenton "Lee" Guenther