Busy, busy, busy at EZM

Quenton Guenther

Vendor
Local time
4:52 AM
We finally got a little extra time to spend on R & D [research and development] and have developed several new products of interest to motorbikers.

We are currently testing several motor powered electrics for the 4 stroke motors. One system is driven from our Q-Matic output shaft, another is adapting the HS motor with the 14V - 7 Amp to our drive system and adding the missing parts in the charging system.

We just finished making the proto-type crankshaft extension kit for the tappered shaft HS 142 motor and have added another shaft bearing and mounting plate to make it "bullet proof".

Recently finished the final design changes to the 2 speed to reduce production costs and hope to find a reasonably priced fabrication shop to start production in the near future.

Thanks to several recent changes in our assembly process we have managed to speed up production of the Q-Matic, and spend some extra time on other projects.

If any one needs information on the 49CC four-stroke HS 142 motor with the CDI ignition, 14 volt 7 amp charging system, just ask! They use 8 MM bolts to mount to the base plate, not 6 MM. The oil drain is on the left bottom of motor, not rear center, The motor is a full 2" wider, most on the rope starter side.

Within a few days we hope to start testing the Q-Matic drive on the 99CC HF motor and will start a post on the testing in the 4 stroke section ASAP.

BTW it is a lot of fun designing and testing these "goodies" and using as many American companies & parts as possible along the journey.

Have fun,

Within a few days we hope to start testing the Q-Matic drive on the 99CC HF motor and will start a post on the testing in the 4 stroke section ASAP.

Quenton
I have always heard good things about your products and I assume that's due in large part to your methodical approach and process of design, testing and production. Couple this with what I have observed as your civil manner, patience and often generous contributions of help and savvy to MABers seeking info and help with projects they are undertaking. I mention this in preparation of an earnest question with absolutely no disrespect intended.

If I understand correctly, you're current drive train is configured to accept a couple of engine choices in the 50cc class. Folks who own them speak well of them. For example, I've been corresponding with a young fellow who is from down your way who wants to go on a trip and he said today he tried (and bought) one of your drives and was well pleased, thinking it would have the power and build quality he intends for extended travel. I'm also pretty sure you'd be aware that a significant number of states have under 50cc regs on the books.

MY question is: with the apparent success of your current configurations in the 50cc and under category, why would you want to push that to 100cc given the probable pending legal issues and even possible added liability of putting even larger engines onto lightweight bicycle frames that to me fall outside the parameters of what a motor assisted bicycle is and more toward that of a small motorcycle?

Hi Happy Valley,

I agree the main objective is to provide a LEGAL kit. We promote the 49 CC 4 stroke as it meeets most [99%] state laws pertaining to motor bikes. There are a few states that require an even smaller motor and we are working to make adapters for the motors below 35 CC for those areas.

There are many reasons we are testing our drive on larger 4 stroke motors as some states don't require the 50 CC limitation, including CA [2 HP limit] and I think one of the eastern states [maybe NH] has a 5 HP limit and no CC limit. We won't be offering the motors larger than 50 CC, but will offer the drive and kit parts for the few states where the larger motors are legal. Using our drive on a larger motor also speeds up the "stress" testing of our system, as we have even tested it in the twin cylinder B & S Vanguard motors [some have near 30 HP] to see if it can be broken.

We at EZM just want to fill the void left by many other companies in our quest to make reliable motor bike kits, and is why we are creating a complete line of adapters and WORKING dive systems.

Often we are sad to see so many purchase products that have known shortcommings and we hope to offer a good solution to keep everyone's investment intact.

Hope this helps explain why we do things differently than most other companies. We won't be selling the larger motors in our kits and will continue supplying the 49 CC. We even hope to talk B & S into making a workable 49 cc 4 stroke motor in the near future.

Have fun,

Quenton,

Your Youtube video demonstrating your Q-Matic brought me back into motor bicycling. A big thanks. Your video demonstrates your creativity, mechanical and engineering talents.

I recently purchased a HS 144 generator engine. What voltage regulator do you use with the HS 142? I believe both engines are very similar in power and output. I also believe the wiring is also dead spot. According to the Grubee Website, the wiring colors for the 142 are the same as my 144. I was looking at some Briggs and Strattons.

Thanks,

Chris H.
AKA: BigBlue

Hi Big Blue,

Thrilled you are "back" into motorbikes, and thanks for the comments.

I have worked out all the details with the HS 142 motor with the charging system.

We even designed an adapter kit to allow using the "Q-Matic" drive on the motors with the tappered short crankshaft [All Hoot chain drives, and early 4G]. We hope to start production of the adapter kit very soon! The adapter kit will convert the tapered 5/8" shaft to 3/4" and extend it approx 2". We made an extra bearing support plate to the outboard section of the extended shaft to add additional support.

The yellow and white wires from the stator can be used to power LED lights or add a regulator to add 12 V DC [can charge a small 12 volt battery].

As usual the wiring on the motor has some confusing colors, but never fear as I also have a degree in electronics, and it only took a few seconds to come to the correct answers. It must be considered that the stock HS motors used the magnets on the flywheel and the coil to fire the motor, whereas the HS with the charging system uses a CDI, trigger [hall sensor fired], ignition coil on the stator, and extra coils for lights, etc.

Email me directly [quincy163@yahoo.com] if you need the correct wiring information to make it start.

You can use a regulator from a Whizzer or a GY6 scooter. It is also important that you ground the wire from the stator as a reference [the wire with the flat connector], most often the wire is green, but don't count on it always being true. The original schematic from Grubee doesn't show the system with a ground, but it won't work without the ground as a reference.

Have fun,

Back