Butch's AZ Warrior Tadpole EZM Q-Matic Trike

Discussion in 'Motorized Recumbents' started by Butch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Butch

Butch Guest

This is the tadpole recumbent that I built over the winter. It has a 49cc Honda 4 stroke motor and an EZM Q-Matic drive system. It was a fun project and kept me busy for a good part of the winter. The ride is very comfortable and the top speed is 38 MPH @ 7000 RPM.

Attached Files:

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Very nice!!!

3. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Nice Trike. Did you build, or buy, the frame?

4. Butch

Butch Guest

I built the frame myself.

5. Bloodstrain

Bloodstrain New Member

I LOVE your Warrior concept and was wondering...

I have seen these gasers fly by and decided it was time to get back on the bike but this time with gas - whoops! Not happening here. The laws are so strict that is is stupid. Gasers are screwed buy an adendum that actually states there must be a deck, a vin# and they have to be registratable along with insurance etc.... but electric only has two things - bike can't weigh over 100lbs and can't exceed 1000w. I'm not that worried about the weight. I will be exchanging your Honda with electric and I will be using as much aluminum as I can plus I will be adding a shield (wall).
    A long time ago I used to race. Was a good up and coming but then tragedy - I became a human speed bump and that ended everything. 9.5 months in a body cast and traction. Anyway, my doc says that I can ride recumbents but not uprights (and I actually believe him). So, I have very little stamina and legs for this and want to do a trike like your AZ Warrior Tadpole EZM Q-Matic Trike but electric. I'm doing this so I can actually get home. The electric is for after I have ridin. Oh! It will be so nice to get out and ride again even if it is in the layed back position. Any ideas for me? I would like to mount a Currie or something similar instead of your gas system and I will NOT be using this(I mentioned this in my intro thread):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Bike-B...691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb7c8089b
    after all because the batteries are huge and heavy. I am back to looking at Li's.

6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc. You might want to check out the stuff done by "Recompence" at EO.

7. nwohater

nwohater New Member

Wow I absolutely Love your trike design!

I was looking into making a copy of this one, but with a lighter motor like yours:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvM7cSPZhec

But now that I've seen yours, I really like the look of your frame better, and am thinking that would be absolutely ideal with some flameproofed saddle bags to hide the engine.

I don't suppose you have some dimensions or plans you worked from?
    Or a vid on youtube to get a better look and from more angles or see it in action? What kind of gear ratio does yours work out to?

I need something that can climb hills all day, so even though I'd like a big engine with cvt I'll probably have to do multiple gears and small engine. To be legal here the limit is 35cc, or it at least has to look like a 35cc. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Go to AtomicZombie and look up the Warrior there. His trike is a direct derivative of that design, with the main difference being and extended wheelbase (behind the seat) to provide room for the engine.

Attached is a sketch of a design I drew up recently, which was in large part inspired by that design.

Attached Files: