buy back my first built (then sold) motorbike? need advice...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DJEEPER, Aug 23, 2009.

DJEEPER Member

ok... to make this short, i built a bike ~2 years ago over the winter, then sold it early that summer for about 400....way less than what i had in it but i needed monies.:ack2:

Now, the guy i sold it to (no friend relation or anything) is looking to sell it back to me....for $100

this is the bike:

It will need some maint. work done to it...he said the carb might be dirty or something....but i would do the carb, plug, cdi maybe, etc....
    so what do you think?

I dont need another, as i have this one:

i just have the attraction to get this bike was my first creation from the ground up...:goofy:

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

let's see here
    get the guy down to 85 dollars --- cash
    get the THING running good
    lock it up outside with a for sale sign -- 140 dollars ??

if we don't need another MB
    and don't wish to hassle with a re-sale --- pass on this one
  3. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

Buy it, Fix it, Sell it for $400
  4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

IF it were me and money was not an issue, I'd buy it in a heart beat for $100.00 if it's mechanically sound ! It's hard to find a really good donor bike for $100.00.
  5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Buy it,but even if u don't wanna sell it(and have the space) keep it as a spare....sometimes things happen to your main bike so it's good to have a backup(or two)
    Also if u have more than one it makes for a great ride when an interested friend comes around.
  6. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Cool little bike, I'd drop 100 clams on it in a heartbeat. Carbs are cheap, I have 2 on the shelf if you need one :)

DJEEPER Member

Well...i went to look at it today and apparently since i sold it to him, he used it for a short while and then put it in the garage for 2 years :(

it is dirty, the carb is junk/gunk, it has 2 year old gas...

but, the compression is still good.

The CDI spark plug wire tip broke off, so i would have to replace it.

So i am looking at a spark plug wire, carb, tubes, spark plug...and a general overhaul.

what do you guys think? It was so cool to see it again after all these years...

DJEEPER Member

oh, also, it is the older type of motor with the smaller studs...and im sure it just has a bushing, not a bearing on the crank.....
  9. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Sounds like an easy fix. I bet the carb will clean right up, prob just fuel lines and plug wire will do it.
  10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Frankly, if the $100 is not an issue, I think you'd be crazy not to buy it back.

Keep it for a spare, or re-sell it again, whichever works better for you. Buy low, sell high is the essence of capitalism, after all.
  11. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I'm like H.Ed. Carb is simple and will probably be easy to just clean out. Go to automotive store and get some solvent used for cleaning out carbs. You know what happens when gas sits in somethng like that for along time? It turns to a very thick paste, almost solid, lke varnish or shillac. I've seen carbs on eBay for around $12.00. But yeah, it the bike is solid, Id buy it. From what you said is wrong with the engine, that's quick easy and inexpensive stuff to fix, plus the fun of doing it.
  12. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

are you kidding me? i'd buy that sucker back in a heartbeat for $100.00.
    heck, you could get a whole new engine for $60.00, throw it on it, and it would be like new again.
  13. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

new engine for 60 dollars ??

new engine for 60 dollars ??
    that's a great price for a new engine ??
    but -- should not be needed in this case

sounds like an easy fix
    and the guy didn't ride it much -- great -- should be a good deal for buying

ride that THING
  14. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

even if a new engine isn't needed, it would be bolt on & have all the other parts already
    you can get a complete the engine from b.g.f. for $60.00, but if all this one needs is some cleaning and adjusting that shouldn't be a big deal.

DJEEPER Member

hmm.... man im so close to buying it.... i just bought a new ballistic vest with plates last night at a steal for $100.....