Buying a new car

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by davidsis, Mar 26, 2009.

1. davidsis

davidsis Guest

I am in the market to buy a new car. I was looking at the Honda Fit. I think it is cool. Anone know the best way to buy a new car? I have heared that it is a good idea to buy a car on the internet. Anyone have experience with this?

2. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

if you feel like supporting the american economy, id wait till the new model year comes out. them new chevy models look very cool.

3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

The Honda Fit is a nice little car. The Nissan Versa, Hyundai Accent and Chevrolet Aveo might also be worth a look for you.

Many dealerships have an "internet sales" dept, and will often get you the best price a lot faster than negotiating in person. Just remember that the car salesman is looking out for his own best interests, not yours. (no matter how nice you think he/she is)

Problem with buying a subcompact is that there really isn't a lot of "wiggle room" on price like a loaded luxury barge. Economy cars are also in demand because people remember 4 dollar gas, or they simply do not want to spend a lot of money on a car to limit debt.

Good Luck!

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

both my father and my wife worked a good price on the internet

learned this one from my father -- done on the internet
    he got the best price quoted on a chev truck -- that dealer was hundreds of miles away
    the chev dealer close to his home -- matched that same price

so my wife was looking for a toyota truck -- we tried the same thing
    lowest price was up the coast
    a dealer a few miles away gave her the same deal

ride the motor bike

5. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Dealer web sites

Do you just go on the dealers web site to look?

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

if Iam buying a Toyota -- I go to the main Toyota site -- put in model and my location
    different prices from dealerships start coming in to your e-mail

MM

7. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Before you buy a vehicle. You must read "Confessions of an auto salesman".

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/page001.html

Here are examples of several vehicle purchases I have made lately:

1. New 2007 Kia Sportage SUV. Sticker Price 21,500. My price 14,250 out the door.

2. 2006 VW Jetta TDI: 1,000 dollars below dealer invoice.

2a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD: 1000 dollars below dealer invoice. This was a tough negotiation and dealership made it up by jacking up the interest rate on the loan. I got it so cheap by getting a rebate if I financed through Chrysler financing. I paid off the car in 2 months so the joke was on them for giving me an 8% interest rate when I have a credit rating in the low 800s.

3. 2005 VW Jetta TDI Wagon 1,000 dollars below dealer invoice.

4. 2000 Nissan Xterra: 500 below dealer invoice

You must do your homework, be persistant, bring cash or own financing to the table. I always try to dip into the dealer's "holdback". Dealer's will act dumb about holdback or inflate their invoice pricing.

Edmunds, carsdirect, and other websites will give you an idea of actual dealer invoice, rebates, special hidden dealer rebates/kickbacks from the factory, and other specials or regional incentives.

Never act like you like the car, always always be prepared to walk from a deal. If a dealer doesn't accept your crazy low offer, be patient. I've gotten calls from dealers 3-4 months after my initial offer and was able to get price I wanted. Never shop on monthly payment. Do your own math, bring your own financing, know your max monthly payment and figure out what the amounts to for a total price. Dealers will manipulate financing to maximize their profit at your expense e.g. giving you a 250 dollar max monthly payment but stretching the payments from 3-4 years to 5-7 years.

Remember, be prepared to walk and when you do think you will take an offer, leave the dealership and have a quiet dinner thinking about the purchase. Never make a quick decision. Dealers will play on your emotions.

My goal is to beat carsdirect.com price and never pay more than dealer invoice and never buy a super popular vehicle. The fit is very popular right now and you may wish to get an alternate vehicle.

PS: Never buy Jeep, Chrysler. They are going bankrupt for a reason. My wife's 2006 Jeep Liberty is a POS which needs a new rear main seal, EGR valve, Air Flow Control valve, torque convertor, CAC hoses, and just had the ABS, traction control, stability control, and cruise control fail this week. I have 7 warning lights currently on the dash.

GOOD LUCK!

8. arlanN

arlanN New Member

You can easily find a lot of dealerships online, but it's hard to find the best one. I did not have enough time to go looking for the very best deal on a new vehicle, so I came across a site to do it for me. Rather than going to car dealerships and asking about the prices of their vehicles, I just went to the website. It showed me great cars, and I ended up with a Scion in Atlanta. At Sandy Springs Scion you will get the most beneficial car or truck buying experience possible.

9. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

No such thing as a "best" dealership for buying a new car as far as I'm concerned. I work hard for my money and I work hard to spend as little of it as possible.

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Anyone notice the date of OPs thread? He's prolly got a 100k on it by now LOL. I'm guilty of the same crime.