cable end

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by retrophoto, Dec 30, 2007.

1. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried a piece of lead shot from a sporting good store as a cable end. You know those weights used for fishing. You could maybe close it down with a blow from a hammer then hit it with some heat from a propane torch to give it a little more grab on the cable wire.

There are probably some good reasons that it wont work, just wondered if anyone had tried it.

2. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

3. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

I did use the search and that question was not answered in the search that I came up with.

So am I supposed to add the question to a thread like it. I'm not sure when I should add a thread or add to a thread that is only similier. I don't want to mold a piece of lead I just wondered if anyone had tried lead shot. If they have I won't waste my time if not I'll give it a shot.

That was the point but then again. I don't want to make waves. Or additional work of the administrator or moderators. I'm obviously confused.
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

I think yours is a new approach to the problem
    seems a lot easier/safer than making your own
    I would vote for new thread (IMHO)ie... it is in the right place
    I think you could shape the sinker with a dremel if you could attach it well enough
    please let us know if you do it, and how it holds up
  5. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

My apologizes, I was thinking that you could get the needed info from that thread.
  6. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

I've never tried your idea, but there used to be a kit for replacing cables on kumalongs that used a sleeve that was crimped on with a punch. I don't think they used a lead sleeve...possibly brass.....but it was fairly soft, and worked quite well.

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, i won't bother to "clean up" in the white zone...but there are better places for tech-talk.

posting in an existing thread (even if merely "similar" like the ones at bottom of this page) will ensure the propagation of new ideas from old...otherwise all we wind up with are several topics about basically the same thing, instead of one good one where you can find several methods at once.

since this was in the white zone, it matters the garage we're on-topic-only and you'd be on the spot to find just the right place. personally, i'd be looking for info like yours in the "BICYCLE Repair and Modification" forum.
  8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

retro...if yours is just an idea to see if it will work then by all means persue it and let us know how it went.If u are doing a project and need something workable now(or u just want handy info) see WIZARDOFOZONE's post about Zirks.
  9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yeah...i wasn't trying to discourage your idea...i was merely addressing your posting/placement question. i think crimping & shaping a fishing weight would work fine if done right :)
  10. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

No I don't need anything right now It just crossed my mind that it might be possible to repair cables that way. I haven't yet figured out what should go where I'm new to all this.

When I finally finish with this build I might have time to give it a try. I previously worked with cruiser bikes that had no cables. I was just thinking about how I might repair some of the cable if need be. But then I also like the end on the clutch cable and I assume someone manufactures that kind of thing as well.
  11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

the clutch cable is just a standard can easily replace it off any dept. store rack.
  12. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

Does the stand cable come with the cute little end with the screw to tighten it at any location. I had no idea those were easy to obtain. thanks for the information. Those things look like they would be easy to lose and I'm glad to know the replacements are that common. thanks again you guys have a heck of a lot of accumulated knowledge to tap into.
  13. azbill

azbill Active Member

what Augi meant was, the clutch cable is just a standard bicycle brake cable...
    the adjustable end piece is not part of that statement
  14. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

see now i don't have to bother...thanks and i mean that I have way too many things going on. It's why I asked. Like you said it sounded good at the time.
  15. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

I do not agree. Why let possibly good tech info get lost in Off Topic? Tech threads belong in tech forums, not OT.
  16. kerf

kerf Guest

I don't think a lead shot would work, too soft. Might to be able to flux the cable end and glob on a wad of tin based solder. That could be reshaped, I guess.