cag powered 29er

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by shiloh0, May 29, 2011.

1. shiloh0

shiloh0 New Member

here is a 29er i built to ride this summer. it has a dax cag engine-the 4.2 hp one, and a left-side freewheel. it has a bmx chain for engine drive. the engine mount is made from an old seat post rack with a piece of steel plate welded on. at the end is a short section of 3/8 threaded rod for the side supports to attach. i got the gas tank off ebay, it's a take-off from a honda gx engine. there are no holes drilled into the bike for this setup, the side brackets are attached with vinyl covered ubolts i bought at lowe's

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2011

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Member

Looks nice, bet that thing flies, eh? I almost bought that bike, then opted for the 29er cruiser instead.

3. shiloh0

shiloh0 New Member

thanks bigkahuna, it really does fly, but not gonna break any records on bottom end torque--likes high revs. 29er cruiser? i didnt know about this...****

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Member

Look for my build thread of the Genesis Onyx 29er on the other forum. I was going to go with DAX's CAG engine but he's out of friction drives and I was in a hurry.

5. shiloh0

shiloh0 New Member

thank you, thank you, bigkahuna for bringing that onyx 29er to my attention, its $149 now from walmart with free to-home shipping. i gotta get one! too bad it's aluminum, think of the board track racer you could build with a 29er cruiser -i believe the original wheelsize for most was 28"

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Member

Do another search on their website and it's $149 for the bike with a $20 gift certificate which brings the price down to $129. The bike does have some (minor) issues, which I identify in my build thread, but nothing that can't be overcome. There have been a couple of other build threads using in frame engines, I decided to go with a rear friction drive just because I think it will be easier / more reliable. I also added front and rear caliper brakes, wasn't hard to do at all.

7. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

It is now the start of 2013, do we get a progress report? I'm planning on doing the same as Shil0h, and I'd like some news of success or failure.

8. rawly old

rawly old Member

Shiloh.
    A bigger sprocket should end your low end woes and make for much better
    acceleration.