California Call To Arms For A Fastbike Law.

BB, the legal insurance disclaimer for manufacturers that you quoted is already in CVC 406. There are no changes in the proposed assembly bill that would require eBikes to have insurance coverage. They would continue to remain exempt. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB2173

(3)*A person operating a low-speed electric bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver’s licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a low-speed electric bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting. The proposed bill has now been amended to raise motorized bicycle maximum horsepower from 2hp to 4hp. Unfortunately the 30mph top speed hasn't changed. Don't understand the thought process for this??? http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml

Well, we're very lucky to have a 30 mph limit in the Peoples Republic of California. Some states limit to 20 mph. I don't understand this need for speed thought process. If you want to go faster, buy a scooter or motorcycle.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

I question the safety of many * Bicycle wheels * Can they handle the speed and torque of a powered bike ? I'd encourage legislation making ' Speed Rated ' bicycles, Ideally suited for motor conversion, available to handle the extra horsepower . I've seen too many ' Mickey Mouse ' conversions fail, causing injury. With good parts, the bikes are as safe as their owner.

I question the safety of many * Bicycle wheels * Can they handle the speed and torque of a powered bike ? I'd encourage legislation making ' Speed Rated ' bicycles, Ideally suited for motor conversion, available to handle the extra horsepower . I've seen too many ' Mickey Mouse ' conversions fail, causing injury. With good parts, the bikes are as safe as their owner.
I like both your and Big Blue's post. But, my very incomplete knowledge of those referenced "good parts" notwithstanding, I think Big Blue makes the best case. Want to go 40? Buy a used scooter or m'cycle. Insured. Parts available. Much less unsafe. If you can't get an M1 license I don't want you on the road with me anyhow. Competitive in price, at least compared to scratch builders like me, who waste money on rework.

As an engineer, I DO have some idea of what I don't know about the engineering that goes into all US sold, factory built 2 wheeled 30+ m/h vehicles. I'm guessing a lot. But I do know that when you crash, you need to dissipate kinetic energy, which has a v^2 term in it. So 30 hurts LOTS more than 20. So, I think a list of what needs to be beefed up or completely redesigned for higher speeds would include brakes, frame, tires, mountings, handlebars, and the many things I'm missing. Are the current crop of manly 40-50 m/h kits safe? A relative term, but they are certainly less safe than my girly 1.6 hp, 19 m/h recumbent tandem. Guarantee. And even with the best intentions, fast bike kit QC goes out the window when you sell it to moron like me to install.....

Critical FYI. I admire every fast bike builder who's posted here. They seem quite responsible, great build knowledge, and I'm sure they stand by their work. But, unless their products are produced with all the bells and whistles of a good quality scooter/m'cycle (static and dynamic load/stress computer simulations, adequate crash testing, certified parts, etc), I would no more ride one of these fast bikes than fly my paramotor from under a canopy of stitched together bed sheets.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Not to feel bad, ebike owners who could meet the 406b just got criminalized with over 750 watt motors thanks to Steven Branford from Englewood California. With a limitor on your controller or say a cycle analyst where you could cap a maximum speed, legally with a 1,000 motor and no more you could classify as a 406B afforded privileges of non motorized bikes. Steven said he wants to help ebike owners so here is how he helped them. Motor must now be 750 watts or smaller, top speed below 20mph and oh, bike must not weigh more than 80 pounds, he threw that in for a kicker. So what this hole did was criminalize what used to be legal and they will not change it. So much for helping owners of motorized bicycles out. Oh and one last thing. This hole has awards from many green groups for supporting green energy including green transportation. Hypocrite!

You are gonna love this one. Guess who was for that assembly bill killing ebikes on bicycle paths. Ready?

Tada, it was the "California EBike Association" committing suicide on ebikes, what a group aye? Well I called them and tried to talk, but the guy was leaving and sorta rude. I emailed them my proposal but never heard back. Talk about a group cutting its own platforms throat!

I'm surprised I haven't seen this topic about CA law until now.

I live next door in Phoenix, Arizona.
I have been trying to modify our 48cc 20MPH law for 4 years now.

The state rep that is the head of the Transportation committee tried to change our law to include e-bikes at 1KW but then make that apply to gas as well, which was like 35cc.

A barrage of e-mail to all committee members quashed that but the question remains, what is safe and fair with no license, tags, insurance, etc?

Petition is here should you care to sign it as I have a sort for CA zip codes.
http://kcsbikes.com/AZRS28-2516.htm

A safe and sound bike is important of course.

How it is operated is another matter all together.
Idiots roam among us in seemingly ever increasing numbers, I prefer them being on an MB than in a 4-wheel vehicle, but I have no qualms with giving people enough power to do what they need for the task like this new E-bike.

SpecializedEpicDoneL.jpg

SpecializedEpicDoneR.jpg

It's a safe bike and that's what matters.

Back