California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

Yeah Og, It was a different world 40 years ago. I used to "smoke" with a couple cops (while off duty of course) when I was about 16-17. EVERYONE had a different attitude back then. I was riding a Honda 305 that I got from a H.A. friend.( his kid outgrew it). No license, No registration, No problem. I don't "smoke" anymore, For a long time now. Don't know if those cops still do or not. They gotta be in their 70's or 80's by now.
And OH YEAH, It cost about a dollar to get a pack of Marlboro's and fill the two gallon tank on that bike.
Big Red.

Sounds interesting, I have tried to register my bike in Iowa by going to the governor, head of the DOT, and Senators. the ruling was that they consider my bike a devise and as such will not need a title, but in saying that the DOT issued me a letter that says my bike is legal to ride on all roads and highways in the state of Iowa. I made a copy of the letter embossed in plastic to carry with me were ever I go in case I get stopped. The local police dept told me as long as the dot don't care they don't ether. the good part there is no speed limit or motor size applied, but I am sure if the motor looked to big there would be a question about it. I haven't seen other motorbikes in Iowa as of late, but if that changes then the DOT may consider a change, because they don't think it would give them enough income to title the bikes at this time.

@ BigRed, the Superhawk! That is the bike that changed the industry. It was business as usual for the established manufacturers and suddenly there were Hondas all over the place.
I think if I get pulled over before I get my plate, I'll just tell them it's registered in Iowa. Hope they let me go before they striaghten that out.

@OG the superhawks were fun bikes but so was the susuki re5 lol. the Iowa thing might work or you could print the reg230 form from ca dmv fill it out and keep a copy with you that has the info on it and tell them you sent for the plates but it was registered in MO or Iowa (mo will not issue titles or require any thing other then you have to have a car drivers license to drive one) used to live there motor bike heaven lol as far as the laws go most scooters didn't have to have tags or insurance or helmets as long as they where "under 50cc" and under 30mph even if they could go over that from the manufacturer they would not issue a title for under 50cc i had a 1980 Derbi laguna Sport there it was fun as-well as most of my motorized bicycles oh and you didn't even have to have pedals . i miss my derbi's both the laguna and my 2000 gprr 75cc

I have read thru most of these threads involving Ca law involving mototrized bikes. Here is my observation, It seems like everyone over looked this,

A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
Most motorized bikes have a transfer case, a transmission is a device to change from one gear ratio to another.
Looking at the document from the DMV to fill out for a plate, it asks you 4 questions and then says' "if you answered yes to ALL of these questions, then you need to fill this out, but, if you answered no to ANY of these ?'s then you don't need to fill this out.

Am I wrong?

The people at DMV that dream up these laws are NOT bike riders at all. They drive cars. They get in, start it, and put it in gear with a lever. This is considered an automatic transmission. Most bikes also have a lever to put it in gear. You are simply not allowed any shifting after it is "put" in gear. That is for California anyway, I can't speak for other states. DMV is just trying to keep 5 (or 10) speed transmissions off motorized bikes. And they don't really know the difference between a transmission and a transfer case so they made it as simple as possible, for the cops I think. You can get a centrifugal clutch for your china girl, but then you also have to install a pull start. So, A pull start, A centrifugal clutch and WIDE crank setup to make it a true automatic. But, like I said, As long as there is no shifting it's legal. And then that brings us to the Sick Bike Parts shift kit. I would love to have one on my bike, but it CAN'T be legal in California, (IT SHIFTS.)
But this might be legal.
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci-technology
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/cycling/NuVinci-experience
Big Red.

Last edited:
Looking at the document from the DMV to fill out for a plate, it asks you 4 questions and then says' "if you answered yes to ALL of these questions, then you need to fill this out, but, if you answered no to ANY of these ?'s then you don't need to fill this out.

Am I wrong?
LOL, you tend to over think stuff huh?

If you answer No to any of the questions you don't get a plate!
because your bike is not a CA legal motorized bicycle.

The automatic transmission is in there
because the laws cover Mopeds as well as motorized bicycles and some
Mopeds have auto 2 speeds and variators.

LOL, you tend to over think stuff huh?

If you answer No to any of the questions you don't get a plate!
because your bike is not a CA legal motorized bicycle.

The automatic transmission is in there
because the laws cover Mopeds as well as motorized bicycles and some
Mopeds have auto 2 speeds and variators.

Right MBR, Auto 2 speeds and variators. Thats why I think the Nuvinci hub might be a (almost) legal alternative. It's expensive but works more like a variator except you do have to push a lever to "variate" speed. When someone comes out with the lever that automaticly goes forward (then back again) at speed on a centrifugal center then the Nuvinci hub will get used more in the M.B. circles. Or perhaps not with the speed limit at 30mph anyway. Just a thought.
Big Red.

Yer right Aleman, I don't know if it would hold up under the pressure of a 99CC Predator engine, but ya gotta admit, It's a great concept.
Big Red.

Back