Called some insurance folks.

I was not aware of the insurance requirements in Calif, but I know of many guys that never get this so called necessary insurance in Calif. If you go to any insurance company and they do not have coverage for what your asking, it's hardly worth mentioning. I know that there are states like Texas & Pa that require insurance and I'm sure there are others. Just yesterday a guy in Michigan gets back to me about his ticket he was given for operating the gas bicycle on the road. He states the fine was $100.00 and he was puzzled why he was ticketed. So then he says he called up a state representative and asked why he had to pay this ticket and the official he spoke to said he should not have be cited a ticket at all. I wrote back to him telling him that he is required to register the bike and receive a sticker which is good for three years. A lot of these guys from all over simply buy the bike and use it as though it is not essential to get anything at all and when the cop pulls them over there in shock. This guy is in the state of Michigan and that is there only requirement for registering and nothing else very much as it is where I'm from. Sorry if anyone was offended, I always thought of Calif as being such a progressive state, I guess the almighty dollar is reigns supreme.

I don't care about state requirements- right now I have none here. However, I care about someone getting hurt in an accident and me having no covergae. My injury is my business, but I could do some damage to a pedestrian, bicyclist or whatever. I prefer not to lose my assets because of no insurance. Even in this economy, I have a house with quite a bit of equity, other real estate, a fair amount of cash and investments. Liability insurance is a prudent investment. Some (probably most) homeowners policies exclude "motor vehicles" and I prefer not to fight over definitions. I prefer coverage.

wow ok kid who everyone is mad at....realize we ride dangerous vehicles. whiles 30mph isnt that fast. I almost got run over because a car thought i was just a bicycle and decided to whiz passed me in a hurry. SERIOUSLY NOW, it's like a motorcycle u wreck on it ur doctors bills are gonna be expensive. u have insurance u'll be ok. do you want to get sued for causing a big accident and not having any insurance??

It already is "required" under California law, as Motorized bicycles
are the SAME classification as Mopeds in this state which require insurance.
So I looked into it by calling insurance companies...
Can you give me a link where Insurance required on motorized bikes is mandated in California?

http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us/government/departments/pd/traffic/alternative_vehicle.cfm

Mopeds and Motorized Bicycles are subject to vehicle equipment, registration, driver's license (requires M2 endorsement) and helmet requirements as stated in the California Vehicle Code. Mopeds are motorized vehicles (both gas and electric) and must follow all rules of the road. Moped and Motorized bicycles are exempt from proof of financial responsibility laws. Some of the laws governing mopeds are listed below:

I think the huntington-beach code is wrong about Motorized bicycles in
such issues as needing DOT tires, Lighted headlamp required when engine is running, etc

but even this strict interpretation says NO Insurance required for Motorized bicycles

Last edited:
driver's license (requires M2 endorsement)

I'm confuse here a little. Does this mean we have to have a motorcycle drivers license or just regular class c license in CA?

Last edited:
I'm confuse here a little. Does this mean we have to have a motorcycle drivers license or just regular class c license in CA?
You have to have a motorcycle drivers license in CA

which means you have a C class license with a motorcycle endorsement

If you don't have one just go get a learners motorcycle drivers license

PS: Can you give me a link where Insurance required on motorized bikes is mandated in California?

do I read that right ??
is Huntington Beach asking for lights, horn and everything else as seen on a motor cycle ??
if so -- they are ignoring state laws -- adding their many requirments

Forbisher looks to be correct --
it is ((plain to read)) about insurance requirments -- none needed

ride that MB thing in HB

To say this is confusing is an understatement.

Are people here arguing for the necessity to obtain what no insurance company is gonna issue?

How big is that can of worms?

You need all that stuff: horn, signals, stop lamp
Read.
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24015.htm

As for insurance, it's buried in the code, but I'll find it.
I know this to be true because I just took the M skills test,
and they asked for insurance and I could NOT take the test without it,
moped or motorcycle.
They turned a guy away on his moped because he had no insurance,
and CA does not differentiate between mopeds and MBs.

I'll find the code for the insurance.

Here's the deal in the eyes of the state.
MB's are considered motor vehicles,
and all motor vehicles in CA require insurance. Period.

You don't see a separate law addressing only MBs and their insurance needs,
as that is not the way the code is written.
All cars need insurance, and all Motorcycles need insurance....
but the code doesn't address each individually.
They are ALL covered under the blanket of "motor vehicles"

The specific type of vehicle only needs to be mentioned
if it is exempt from insurance, like ELECTRIC motorized bicycles,
or motorized scooters, as they are not considered "motor vehicles" in the code.

Link for financial responsibility.
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d07/vc16020.htm

16020. (a) All drivers and all owners of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility pursuant to Section 16021, and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle.

Last edited:
Back