Called the AL State Troopers Office

mike93082

Local time
2:21 PM
I called the local Mobile, AL police department and talked to the traffic division. The lady was rude and I dont think she knew her face from azz and she just said if it is motorized then you need blinkers, headlight, taillight, insurance, etc etc etc.

So I tried calling another precinct and they really had no clue as to what to tell me.

So finally I decided to call the local state troopers office. At first he said it must be registered, etc. But he then found out I am not talking a motorcycle but a standard bicycle with a gas assist engine and he said I know exactly what you are talking about. He said they are treated just like a regular bicycle and you do not need to register, get insurance, tag, wear a helmet if you are over 16, or any safety equipment (but recommends it).

So now on my next pay period I am going to get a bike and order a motor kit :cool:

I want to ask you guys though which bike should I use. I do not care to spend 300 on a bike but I have heard to avoid aluminum frame bikes as the frame can break on you at 30mph and it is not fun. Some of the bikes I have looked at are your steel framed 79.00 18spd Wally-World specials. I checked craigslist but around here I do not believe people realize that items drop in value and you cannot sell something for the price you paid when it is 3 years old lol.

So finally I decided to call the local state troopers office. At first he said it must be registered, etc. But he then found out I am not talking a motorcycle but a standard bicycle with a gas assist engine and he said I know exactly what you are talking about. He said they are treated just like a regular bicycle and you do not need to register, get insurance, tag, wear a helmet if you are over 16, or any safety equipment (but recommends it).

did you get the officers name? it may be wise to contact him again and ask for the statute number he was quoting (unless he was just making it up on the fly) and print that out. carry it with you.

On the bike question, to be safe, get something with brakes on both ends!
Never heard that about aluminum frames but the vibration from an engine may be the cause if it is true.
I got a Mongoose (from wallyworld) full suspension al. frame with steel rear end, and I like it but you can't put a HT kit in the frame. You can do a rack mount on it though.
I love the full suspension ride. But if you have no rough rides, a cruiser with gears and Vbrakes would be fine.
First thing I do on any bike is get a real seat and get rid of the flat (lean forward) handlebars.
Spend some more time here looking around before you commit to something, I think that will help you.
Mike

I also use an aluminum frame with no problems. You might want to consider getting excellent quality wheels and hubs, especially on the rear. At the speeds we ride rough roads/streets are hard on wheels. I buy cheap bikes, then replace the wheels with the best quality heavy duty wheels I can afford.

I have found that old single speed steel cruisers work the best. Wait until something good pops up on craigslist or something for $90. Shoulda bought an engine right after Christmas... bikeberry had some killer deals on grubee engines. If you keep your eyes open you can really do this thing cheap, I just put a whole bike together (engine and all) for less than $200.

Last edited:
I called the local Mobile, AL police department and talked to the traffic division. The lady was rude and I dont think she knew her face from azz and she just said if it is motorized then you need blinkers, headlight, taillight, insurance, etc etc etc.

So I tried calling another precinct and they really had no clue as to what to tell me.

Good morning Mr Mike,

As to your question on the legality of a motorized bicycle in the State of Alabama. The Alabama Code of 1975, Title 32, Motor Vehicle and Traffic, recognizes a bicycle as:

[Sec. 32-5A-281. Definitions.
As used in this article, the following words shall have the following meanings:

(1) BICYCLE. A human-powered vehicle with two wheels in tandem design to transport by the act of pedaling one or more persons seated on one or more saddle seats on its frame. "Bicycle" includes, but is not limited to, a human- powered vehicle designed to transport by the act of pedaling which has more than two wheels when the vehicle is used on a public roadway, public bicycle path, or other public road or right-of-way, but does not include a tricycle.]

Anything with mechanical power is classified as a motor vehicle and all registration, licensing, and insurance rules apply. Let me be perfectly clear about this, an unregistered motorized bicycle is ILLEGAL.

Having said that, my wife and I have ridden our motorized bicycles around Birmingham, Trussville, Gulf Shores, Jefferson and Marshall Counties. We've come in contact with numerous local, county and state law enforcement officers without incident but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I can offer suggestions to help keep you out of trouble:

1. Wear a helmet, 1/2 motorcycle is better than a bicycle but either will work.

2. Make your machine as quiet as possible.

3. Follow all traffic rules and keep to the right as much as possible.

4. A flashing tail light indicates a safety conscious rider.

5. Stay out of high traffic areas (safety issue as well).

6. Full motorcycle style lighting system for night riding (safety issue as well).

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
print that out. carry it with you.

did you get the officers name?

print that out. carry it with you.

that's what I did spunout
I carry with me when riding two e-mails
sent to me by two different law enforcement agencies
stating that it is more that alright and legal for me to

Ride That THING Sideways -------------------------------- in Calif

Got an email from the Department of Public Safety

I decided to email the Department of Public Safety. They told me when an engine is installed on a bike no matter what size it is classified as a motor driven cycle and a tag is required along with proper lights and signals and insurance.

I called the DMV and they said they could not tag a bicycle with an engine since it did not have the federal sticker on it that cars and regular motorcycles have. So in a sense these things are flat out illegal in AL.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Or has anyone ever tagged one of these? I do not mind going through the process.

Mike -- for now conntact our member kerf -- he lives in Al
he rides his motor bike THING and seems to have no problem
MM

kerf
MBc Member Join Date: Nov 2007

Back