Can a motorized bicycle make a 100 mile trip?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bikejock, Dec 7, 2014.

1. bikejock

bikejock Member

I'm thinking of visiting my uncle after I get my motorized bike put together. He lives about 100 miles away. He tells me I can come visit him and he would take me back in his pickup truck with my bike in the back saving 100 miles on my engine/bike. I plan on using a 4 stroke 2 hp motor on a beach cruiser style or possibly a stretch bike. From what I've read motorized bikes 4 or 2 stroke can get an MPG of 40 to 80. So I would most likely need to make at least 1 fuel stop. Has anyone traveled 100 miles straight or more on a motorized bike without having much trouble?

2. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

Hope you have one good seat to do that with. If your not planning to run it wide open most of the time and your planning to do this off the Interstate, it might work.
  3. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I wouldn't take your first ride 100 miles but sure you can, these little 4-stroke engines are used on pumps and generators and such, start 'em up and they will run all day.

Bullet proof your wheels with heavy duty tubes and liners, take some tools, water and your cell phone along and if you get stranded your uncle can come and fetch ya.

Have a fun ride!
    bikejock likes this.
  4. jhammondcpa

jhammondcpa Active Member

I asked that earlier on this forum and several people indicated they had done 100 mile trips. I would suggest taking some extra fuel, a tool kit and plan for a few hours of riding time plus cool down periods. My new 4 cycle should cut down on seat time and cool down periods and it can be fueled at any station, sadly it still needs a tool kit! I did find a retail fuel source and with a reusable can for the 2 cycle although I increase the oil mix ratio routinely. Fuel Supply.jpg
    bikejock likes this.
  5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

yeah, I agree with KCvale, the trip should be no problem if the bike has been run enough to work the bugs out
  6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I made many 50 mile round trip commutes with a China girl motor. 100 miles shouldn't present a problem. I would stop every two hours to let the engine cool and help you recover from the vibration. Sounds like a lot of fun.
  7. Gobisox

Gobisox Member

It would be prudent to use quite a bit of Lock-tite before that trip. Lots of vibration = lots of nut loosening. Sounds awesome though. Good luck.

8. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

9. jhammondcpa

jhammondcpa Active Member

Sweet looking ride map! My 2 cycle uses some fuel although it is the cheapest part of owning. Hopefully the new 4 will do better! My two sons did Sydney to Alice springs over a 2 week period a couple of years ago, by car, when the younger boy was living in New Zealand. They stopped in Brisbane to try their hand at skydiving and ended with a camping trip to Ayer Rock! Great country! BTW you can check out both of bikes at, enjoy!
    bikejock likes this.
  10. yimmie

yimmie Member

well if u do make the trip good luck
    Tom from Rubicon likes this.
  11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

A 2-stroke or a 4-stroke will have no problems doing a 100 mile trip, so long as the appropriate type of Loctite is used on nuts, bolts and screws that are prone to vibration related problems.

It is most important that a 2-stroke is jetted correctly, for this will be in large part what determines long term reliability when operated for long periods of wide open throttle at sensible rpm.

A 2-stroke (when jetted correctly) will return approx 100 kilometers (60 miles) for 2 litres (0.53 US gallons) of fuel when using a SickBikeParts shift kit that allows the engine to operate at 3,800 rpm at max cruise speed.

A 4-stroke engine is likely to be a little more economical and is less sensitive to incorrect jetting, but for the same engine size, it will be less powerful, if both engines are optimised to produce optimal power.

These links show some of my long distance trips, where the engine was working it's heart out the whole way; brutal mile after mile after mile:

Another important point is that you will want a comfortable seat; ideally having some level of shock absorption to make long distance touring a pleasant experience on your backside.

This is my setup, which has proven to be extremely effective. Don't for one second be shy about purchasing a ladies comfort seat, because a ladies seat is thickly padded and designed for comfort:

I have this version but in the lycra covering

And this suspension (long travel Cane Creek Thudbuster LT) seat post has proven to be very effective with (soft) grey elastomers.
    I ordered the 25.4mm seatpost as well as the correct seat post shim to fit the seat post tube in my bike. Ordering the smallest seat post diameter allows you to fit your Thudbuster to any kind of bike by ordering another shim of appropriate size.!LBEi3j67tGn0!rxBISNuHA!/Cane-Creek-Thudbuster-LT-Seatpost?utm_source=FRGLAUS&utm_medium=organic&cu=AUD&gclid=CjwKEAiA2dSkBRCX8KmK5YrFviwSJACeYweCpXQVIRduT3OEuvzJGnjCu-b80Hga1lfSSDEAtXU2jxoCK47w_wcB

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Tom from Rubicon likes this.