Can I reuse my gas/oil mix?

havemurci

Local time
5:38 AM
Hey guys,

I bought a kit in June and ran it until August, approx. 239 miles until the piston locked.

However I still have gas left over. It's probably 4 months old and I've read on here not to use such old gas, as the oil and gas separates.

Couldn't I just shake up the mixture really well to mix it again? Or is it something to do with the chemistry, and I should just buy new oil and gas.

Thanks,
Mark

Hey guys,

I bought a kit in June and ran it until August, approx. 239 miles until the piston locked.

However I still have gas left over. It's probably 4 months old and I've read on here not to use such old gas, as the oil and gas separates.

Couldn't I just shake up the mixture really well to mix it again? Or is it something to do with the chemistry, and I should just buy new oil and gas.

Thanks,
Mark
If you don't drive/have a drivers license, pour it in the Ole man's car. The shelf life of 100% gas is over a year, with the ethanol...not long. Although it probably wouldn't hurt using it, boat owners like myself won't let it stay around long as it promotes moisture in the tank, and works on rubber as in the hoses. Really nothing in a HT to worry about, but there is issues with a diaphragm carb.

Gas that has oil will create a varnish. So overall best to start new, besides how much mix could you really be talking about, a few bucks?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yeah, it's not a cost issue-- just that I have to re-use the gas container, and I wasn't sure what else to do with the old gas except have a huge campfire.

If I had a car, I probably would be willing to try putting the gas in it. However, I hope you can understand that I don't want to dump the gas in my parents' car and risk the engine (yes, yes I know the risks are small, but still. When I have a son, he will not put anything in my car's tank. LOL.)

Can I mix it up with some unleaded for our 4-stroke lawnmower?

That's probably what I'll do, thanks.

--Mark

It's should be ok to use as long a the lid was kept on it and no water got in ....
I use 2 year old lawn mower gas ...

I use my stale gas leftovers to soak fire ant mounds, then light'em up.
More effective than Amdro or any expensive pesticide.

Back