can jb weld help this?

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by benjy6, Nov 8, 2008.

1. benjy6

benjy6 Member

ok heres the issue
    i took a fall again today

yet again im fine lol

well anyway

i was just outside looking at my bike
    well as i was looking at the seat post i noticed a crack on each pole that goes from seat post down to back tire

both clean cracks that look like someone took a hacksaw to it

they are right by where those 2 poles are welded to the seat post

its the schwinn cruiser bike

would applying jb weld to them completely fix this or should i look for another bike?

2. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

JB weld

Thats a critical strength area. I would not trust JB weld to hold that , see if you can get it welded properly by a real welder or get a new bike if thats what you want.
  3. HI,

I agree with MotorMac...JB is good BUT I wouldn't trust it that much.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

as much as I enjoy JB weld - been using it for years

it should never be used to repair any part of a broken frame

also note -- for welding of frames -- expert welder highly recommended

ride that thing
  5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

have you considered training wheels? :p

just kidding...I'm glad you are ok...keep wearing that helmet!!

is this an old schwinn cruiser? built in the USA ?
    these were brazed together....really strong.

or, is it a newer one....possibly aluminum?

Either way, this repair would be best done by a professional. do you have any welder buddies?
  6. benjy6

benjy6 Member

its a newer one
    if it were the older one i prolly woulkdnt have this prob lol

but ill take it by an auto garage and wow them with my mb and ask if they can do a little welding for me
  7. xPosTech

xPosTech Member

Gas (OA) will do it best. Sounds like a job for a muffler shop. You'll have much better results if you prep it correctly.

Post pics of the breaks. If it's just welded, the result will be a butt joint - not the strongest. Replacing a small section with lap joints will be better. The better the fit of the joints the stronger the result. Don't expect the muffler shop to prep it. You also might want to consider a gusset in that area since it's getting welded up anyway.

Inspect each weld on the bike, especially the chainstays (the bottom tubes going to the axle). Remember that paint hides a lot.

Is this a Point Beach?

Good luck.

8. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

Umm I hate to not agree with everyone else...but i would try the jb weld anyways I mean when Had my license I jbwelded my blow off valve onto the flange and the flange to the pipe cuz it didn't seal properly (the flange was cut wrong by the cnc designer after 1 small tack weld breaking on me on the piping. to cause a major boost leak. I just grinded off the entire weld clamped it down coated both sides with jb weld let it cure for 32 hours smoothed the inside. and it held 30psi on a nice big 20g turbo. i've also jbweld an aluminum frame bracket for a seat in a car that was cracked...just if u do it make sure u clamp it as much as possible!
  9. Mountainman

I don't think so stealthc9

we need to remember that our bicycle frames are supporting a lot of weight which is compounded when we go over bumps

thus I weight around 200 lbs
    considering that some of my weight would also be over the forks
    let's say this broken part of the frame -- now JB welded is holding 140 lbs
    then over bumps in the road that becomes 175 lbs
    back and forth back and forth -- that's what breaks JB
    JB weld will not hold up to this
    and if we think about total failure of a frame at let's say 25 mph
    no way should we let someone try that

I love JB weld -- but - not for repair of frames

ride that thing
  10. hill climber

hill climber Member

jb weld wont hold it. have it welded or replace the frame. you can only fall so many times without breaking something.
  11. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

Thats true, yea man definately go for having it welded, i weight 145lbs and theres alot more play on a bike then in a car!
  12. Mountainman

we need to hold on to what we got

isn't that the truth hill climber !!!

there were times when falling down or off of something was not a big deal

now I think a little more about hitting my head and how afterwards it will feel

we need to hold on to what we got

so as to once again --- ride that thing
  13. Yea a muffler shop welds pipes all the time. A good one that's not too busy may charge you 5 bucks is all.
    But they may not guarantee it.
  14. n8ygn

n8ygn Member

Get a Pro

Never trust your life to an epoxy product no matter how well it works. Get a PRO to mig or tig weld it doesn't cost that much. Dane
  15. seanhan

seanhan Member

I Have a new Point Beach and noticed the the Frame where the tubes are welded by the chainstays has paint missing...
    Is that from the joint being stressed? or bad paint. There is no missing paint anywhere else on the bike.
  16. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Fractures in the powdercoat or piant at frame unions is often, but not always, the telltale of frame stress at the joints.

Can you post a clear closeup of the area?
  17. Mountainman

a point to watch

well my eyes are not as good as they used to be

maybe a magnifieing glass -- look at it very close -- any cracks ?

if not -- probable ok -- a point to watch though

as we ride that THING
  18. Don't see so well......

Ok Guys, here is a chance to take advantage of modern science! (No, not get a new pair of glasses).....Use digital camera! Take good pics, blow them up on the 'Puter, and now look at the spot you want to see.

old brain but not dead,

19. retromike3

retromike3 Member

me to

I had almost the same thing happen to me. I drilled the seatpost because I thought I needed to. Turns out that It would have worked anyway.

Later, after about fifty miles it looked like somebody took a hacksaw to my seatpost.

I just got finnished first, welding the seam of the brake with brass, filing it flush and then wrapping the seam with a steel "collar" and then brazing it together with siver.

Since my new engine has mounts that work with a bigger down tube I found some thin plate and patched the holes I made in the down tube. I then did some fillet work around the plates so the mounts would rest flat on the tube.

Not only that but I only burned myself once.:ack2:

I hope that it will hold together for awhile. I will let you folks know when and if it fails.

As for J.B. weld why not use super glue? it seems just as applicable. Instead of J.B. think fiberglass. Wrap the tube with about five layers with epoxy between each layer. Let set for awhile and have at it. Just a thought.

Mike-working my fingers to the bone,only to get-bony fingers-Frye A.K.A. Frye bikes
  20. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

For me, I'll leave structural epoxy to professional airplane builders.

I do not, have not and will not trust J.B. Weld or any other epoxy for any structural repair.