Can one grease the flywheel bearing?

MaxGlide

Local time
12:19 AM
The bearing on the flywheel looks like a closed bearing. Can it/should it be greased and if yes how is it done?

Thanks.... Wayne

Last edited:
It's an unshielded roller bearing that is continuously lubricated by engine oil. The seal is to keep oil in and dirt out.

Oiled by engine oil

I don't think I explained it right.

I have a vintage Whizzer J engine and I mean the pulley that moves when you pull on clutch.

First i don't mix oil with the gas and second the flywheel is not in contact with any parts of the engine that has oil. It looks like a sealed bearing to me

Wayne

Hey Quenton!!! We need your expertise over here!!!

Last edited:
The bearing in the clutch pulley is a shielded roller bearing. If it is dry/loose/noisy, press it out, throw it away and install a new one. If you are on a really tight budget (they cost ~ $10) you could pry the shield off, clean it, regrease, and attempt to replace the shield. But why?

It's what I figured.

I figured it was a sealed bearing.

It is not terrible but does feel dry or as though it is not spinning smoothly.

The $10 is not an issue after what I've put into this thing!!

I will see if I can find a new one. So I'm guessing one just removes the C clip, puts say the end of a wood dowel and taps it out?

Wayne

Wayne, Yes you are correct in your approch to removal. When installing the new bearing press it in using contact on the outer race, not the inner race

Back