Can the head cover be reversed?

mike93082

Local time
3:53 PM
I notice that in pictures of 66cc Grubee engines the spark plug tip is pointing towards the front of the bike. Mine is pointing towards the rear and causes some issues with the wiring.

Can I reverse the head cover so the plug points in the other direction.

Yep, it fits both ways. (By the way, it's a head, not a head cover.)
Traditional 2-stroke motorcycles with slant heads always pointed the plug forwards. Not sure why, probably just for plug access.
Someone else may know more.

Last edited:
Yeppers - I prefer mine slanted forward. Some folks say it cools better rearward.....I say......"naw".

What about the barrel? Could it be reversed and have the carb at the front and exhaust out the back?
Not sure why you would really want to do that, just wondered if it was possible.

Hi Ben.
As far as I know, with these engines, there's no reason why not, if the ports match.
When I was a kid, that was a common trick with BSA Bantam 125s, with a horn on the carb inlet to increase pressure. Don't know if it actually made a difference.

Depends on the transfer port arrangement.pull the cylinder off and rotate the gasket, see where the ports in the crankcase line up with rotated gasket.

Must have symetrical transfer ports. I don't see why you would want to rotate the jug though.

Back