can you hook these to a nexus three-speed?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by eflow, Nov 28, 2008.

1. eflow

eflow New Member

Can't get a definitive answer on whether these kits will work with a nexus three-speed coaster brake rear hub. Someone, anyone, please help!

2. HI,

Yes, BUT you will need a jackshaft to get the power to the right side....SBP shifter kit will take care of all that for you....Only concern may be durability of the hub BUT others have used a Stumey Archer hub (similar hub) without problem.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and ride safely.

3. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

The shifter kit will work with the hub, but it will not work with a coaster brake because of the front freewheel.
  4. Good Point Pablo....I missed the part about the Coaster brake! ;-0

eflow - You'll have to mount a caliper type brake for the rear wheel....depends on the bike you have but this is generally not a major biggie to do...just a little extra cost unless you happen to have a bike for spare parts around.

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I think eflow might be asking if the sprocket will mount in the normal fashion, to the 3 speed hub. (opposite side from the pedal sprocket.)
    he asked here too....

Older 3-speed hubs are usually larger in diameter, with a larger dustcover.
    i am not familiar with the nexis 3-speed . anyone have a pic? or a link?

it is possible that the kit sprocket's center hole might need to be enlarged.
  6. Pablo

Oh, good point.
  7. heyitstimmer

heyitstimmer New Member

The jackshaft idea looks like an interesting solution, for getting easier pedal starts and higher speeds. Right now I am doing 32mph max and the engine is screaming to beat the band. With the jackshaft I assume you can control your rpms better, what will I expect with the Jackshaft, for a new max speed?? Any guesses?

8. Pablo

Max speed? You will be limited by engine power before gear ratio. Modify your engine a bit and 40+mph is possible.

32 mph should be very easy cruising speed.
  9. eflow

eflow New Member

You know, I just may get a different rear wheel, sounds like a single speed is by far the easiest to work with. Maybe a workman with a drum brake? I am just trying to stick with a simple oppisite side of the drive sprocket set-up(first project and all).
  10. Breuklen

Breuklen Banned

this in my current ride. first time build,49cc pocket bike engine 55 plus mph

Attached Files:

11. elbruceo

elbruceo New Member

Breuklen, I have not completed my jackshaft bike yet was wondering how smooth or if you have any problems using your rear gears on this build?