Can you put a frame mounted engine on a Schwinn Meridian trike?

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by bikebum1975, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Hi all I would like to know if anyone has mounted an engine on a Scwinn meridian trike before and if you have any tips on how to do it. I am thinking of putting a foru stroke from on it maybe even a two stoke. Can it be mounted on the frame? Also can you use a shift kit on it like the one from any help would be greatly appriciated. Here is the link to the trike picture.

2. SalisCruiser

SalisCruiser New Member

i bet you could rig up a motor mount, but that trike is a single speed... would the shift kit really benefit you?
  3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i built one for a neighbor, it was gebe w/subaru on front. you can use a pocket bike motor and cvt mounted above rear axle.
  4. bonzzz

bonzzz New Member

whatever that basket is bolted to , just put in a 1 inch piece plywood . those bikes are so top heavy be careful on the corners
    i'm also building a trike pic is when i first got it have it down to frame just painted .new tires going on this coming week , still undecided about motor ,, having probs figuring out right size pulleys i'm a builder not a mechanic..
    anyway have fun

Attached Files:

5. NssOne

NssOne New Member

Hey there. I'm building a motorized Schwinn trike as well, but mine's like 30+ yrs old. It's actually a Town and Country tri-wheeler. I specifically chose those because of room in the back to put the motor and such.

Here's a pic: [​IMG] Full pic

It's going to be a custom project, though, no kits involved. But if you want to share ideas, let me know, I'd be willing to help out what I can.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I would think that a frame mount would work (2 stroke or 4). May take some working to get the mount to fit. I think the use of the SBP shift kit is a good idea even with it being a single speed because it would allow use of the stock chain drive and take care of any issues there may be in hooking up a drive system to the rear wheels.