Can you recommend a reliable powerful 4 stroke?

You know, I'd appreciate if people actually tried to help with the original intent of the thread instead of distracting from it with unconstructive criticisms.

Anyways, to andy, it's clear we have a different set of values.

You talk about "total cost". The only thing that matters is "future costs" as past costs are sunk, and future costs are entirely situational..

Then you talk about performance. I care about performance, true, but I'm not trying to maximize the performance/price envelope.

For this, I care more about reliability. A parallel hybrid system would have supreme reliability compared to relying on one system or another. If the gas engine goes out, I should still have about 60 miles on an electric charge at a slower pace of 15-20 mph, assuming I contribute an average of 100-150 watts. I can fix whatever needs to be fixed at the next destination, and charge on route if need be. It would lengthen trip time in that emergency scenario, true, but I wouldn't be "stranded".

As to criticisms of the hybrid design, I think you're likely just hostile to electric systems in general. That's OK, if you don't see any advantages with them. However, I find substantial advantages with being able to go *wherever* I want, when I want, without noise disturbances nor dirty looks nor the thought of polluting the air that detriments the health of those around me. In urban areas, I try to avoid health-harming emissions as much as possible (or minimize my contribution), and electrics have a supreme advantage in this department. By using a hybrid system, I would be able to take advantage of the best features of electric while retaining the range advantages of gasoline. Furthermore, I can *take* away the gasoline part just by undocking the trailer so that I won't have its disadvantages in sensitive areas, nor the weight.

Also, this also has a large educational benefit, as towards my future phev that I'll likely custom make.

Yes, of course, well said. To each their own, couldn't agree more and why it's ultimately a decision of keeping one's own counsel.

ICE/Ebike hybrids can be realized in various configurations and I believe overall a goal certainly worthwhile in MBs. They'll be naysayers for those looking to innovate though I'd guess more motivated negatively by feeling excluded than by actual experience.
One thing I've noticed around here lately that never was apparent in the earlier days is more rigid and conformist thinking....for example toward cheaper clone knock-off engines or "fast" cheap department store bikes.

Seems like a lot of experimentation has been lost but perhaps it's just kept more private now.

To save weight, just go with a single wheeled trailer bike with brackets for the batteries welded on.

You won't have the same storage capacity for other cargo but it would lighter and more stable.

350 pounds up an 8% (4.6 degree) slope at 20 MPH requires 1212 watts (1.63HP,) at the axle, to maintain speed. Ref this thread for more info.

Depending on the drive you choose, you could lose up to 20 percent of the motor's brake HP in the gears/chains/pulleys/belts.

A Honda GXH50 would give you a little spare capacity. The drive would need to be geared so that the motor's max torque RPM occurs at 20 MPH.

Last edited:
Original thread=motorcycle to be legal in my opinion. Just buy ya a yamaha/? and go for it?

scdave - if the questions have to do with the original topic & replies, then, ask away, else you should create a new thread for the questions. But remember - there are many folks here with at least as much (or more... and in some cases, a LOT more) experience with MB's, so you should hope they chime in!

Thanks Lou and any of the rest that can help...I turned to the thread because of the original question of a "powerful four stroke"...I also have the same need amongst others for my MB...Maybe I should send it to you first to make sure I do not break any rules for the forum and let you advise if I should post it to a new thread..

Well, a Honda GXH50 has the oomph, if geared correctly, to push 350 pounds (bike+rider+drive+gear) up a 10% slope at speeds of 20 mph. You would need to ensure that the engine's max torque RPM will drive the rear wheel at 20 MPH. And, it's hard to beat Honda for quality.

Hello from Queen Creek!

Hello, let meshake some dust off the keyboard. (rattle, rattle, rattle), Hmmm now I think we are OK!

I have said in some places before that I know the HS 142 F, and Honda will takre off from dead stop, and carry 325 lbsman, with basket of tools and gas can, 34mph all day long, AND climb hills.

I have ridden both engines this way myself.

Mike
(Temporarily in Queen Creek)

I have a need with a strong four stroke motor;

First, the purpose of the motored bike…This will be a shuttle vehicle to use on rafting trips…We arrive in a flatbed truck with the rafts and this bike will be on a bike rack on the rear of the flatbed…We unload the rafts, drive the truck down stream with the bike on the rack, park the truck and ride the bike back to our put in spot…The following is a list of my needs;

I need a durable bike (Frame)…I am thinking a used mountain bike..
It needs to be light (sub-50 lbs)
I need disc brakes
I need durable tires and rims…(I am thinking the pool liner material would be good idea)…
I want a strong, quiet, reliable four-stroke, frame mount, within the limits so as to not attract police attention
I need it to have a lot of torque…I may be climbing out of some steep dirt & gravel roads occasionally. I weight 190 lbs…
I am not concerned about how fast it is…I am a active bike rider so I don’t mind assisting with the pedals..
Not sure if it should be chain or belt drive…Reliability is the important part here…(Stanton ??)…
I want fenders on front & rear…We will be dealing with rain & dirt occasionally…
Lastly, I need someone capable of building this bike for me…Reliability is critically important so having someone who is accomplished in building these bikes makes sense to me vs. building the bike myself…

I am in Northern California and would be willing to travel some to get the bike...

David

Back