Can you use a 2 stroke magneto coil on a 4 stroke engine to run lights???????????????

Samdallas214

Local time
10:13 AM
This might sound crazy but could you rig a 2 stroke magneto coil to a 4 stroke engine to run a light?

If not that could add a second 4 stroke coil to run a light set?

This might sound even more crazy but if you could add a coil/magneto coil the could you add 2 coil/magneto coils 1 for the front light and 1 for the tail light?

Magneto coils powered lights for years, so it's just a matter of matching output to energy consumption and ensuring the bulbs don't blow at high speed or go a dingy brown colour at low speed.

What is was thanking of doing was to add a rechargeable scooter battery run the coil to the battery and the run the12v LED lights to the battery. that way the battery would stay at 100% charged and you would eliminate the light problems, do ya thank that would work

You'll have to ask somebody who understands ohms and watts and amps, I'm still holding a oil lamp in front of me on a stick.

wrap a few turns of wire around the existing coil and attach 2 LEDs opposed to each other. theyll light up.

your ideas sound, its what the generator coil in a normal momobike with a magneto does. a seperate coil, with less turns...

simple bit of (laminated-hack apart a transformer) bar with enough wire round it, one end as close to the magnets in the flywheel as possible, bolted down tight. and a rectifier/regulator for 12v DC. $5 on fleabay :)

leave the ignition coil alone.

Hi Sam. I've done this on three of my engines. I put two coils on my HS 142, one on each of my Homelites. I used a defective HT laminated magneto wrapped with 18 gauge magnet wire. In all three cases the coil works like a champ, not enough juice to run extra accessories, but plenty to run lights and a horn. When I was a kid we had 50cc Ducatis, Bennellis and Cushmans with this setup. My coils will fire indcandescent bulbs, but you get a lot more light from a rectifier and LEDs. I had to modify the plastic flywheel cover on the HS to accomodate the two coils, but the one coil fit within the covers on the Homelites. Once you try this you will never go back to batteries. Good luck

You could Chris if the coil in question mates with the curve of your flywheel. In order for the coil to work properly it must fit within .001 of an inch, about the thickness of a business card. Most production lighting coils fit on the inside of the flywheel and the laminated core is shaped accordingly. My custom made coils fit on the outside of the flywheel so I have to grind the core so that both sides are close enough to the magnets to work. For example, the flywheel on one of my Homelite engines is 4 1/2" in diameter. I ground the core on the magneto with a grinding wheel that was also 4 1/2" in diameter to get the same curve. I have already put the Homelite back together, but I will try to post some pictures of my HS142F with the cover removed. Hope this helps.

I ground the core on the magneto with a grinding wheel that was also 4 1/2" in diameter to get the same curve. I have already put the Homelite back together, but I will try to post some pictures of my HS142F with the cover removed.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. I understand what you are saying, but until I see it, I don't fully comprehend.

Thanks,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Chris, wasn't able to take photos today because I was too anxious to try out my new coil with a rectifier and new LED tail light, actually a side marker light with two LEDs that I got from Walmart for $6.00. I'm happy to report that it works like a champ and the LED tail light glows like devil eyes. Eventually I will swap the incandescent headlight for a LED light as well. I installed a simple toggle switch in the circuit so I can turn the lights off to charge a battery or cruise in "stealth" mode. I will not be going back to batteries!!!

Back