Local time
10:40 AM
Ok so i am building my first bike..Huffy Beach cruiser Cranbrook

everything went on smooth but now this last part is a nightmare

I cant get the chain to stay on the sprocket..it keeps popping off

I checked for runout on the sprocket...maybe didnt bang it good enough

Ive aligned the motor with the wheel sprocket..still pops off

Ive set the chain tensioner 10 times!

Wheel Sprocket is set the way the book tells...but on my other bike that I bought the guy has it reversed..
anyone think I should flip the sprocket around and try that?

what a nightmare !
any advice is appreciated :)

RJ

Attachments

• SAM_1808.jpg
    SAM_1808.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 537
A fix

HEY I seen your issue honestly i think you gt too much chain, as well I keep the tensioner farther away frm the back sprocket now you do have it [tensioner] n the right position also when ur putting the back wheel on its best to tighten up ur right side first allowing it to pull the rim a tad to the right then u tighten the leftside which if done correctly youll b happy

looks like your sprocket is dished out - probably right since the rule of thumb for clearing the tire is 'dish in for skinny tires, out for fat ones'

can't tell from that pic if you properly hogged out the center hole of the sprocket to clear the absolutely important hub cap

new chains can sometimes be a problem till they stretch a bit (only takes 5 or 10 miles to get 1/2 inch longer), so keep it slightly tight at first and very precisely set the tensioner to feed the chain straight onto the bottom of the rear sprocket (don't forget that the chain will have tighter & looser spots & needs to be set at tightest spot)

not required, but I always grind the sides of the teeth of the rear sprocket knife-edge sharp for about 1/8 inch at the tips to help them find the center holes in the chain

I had to dish mine in on my bike to get good alignment. I've got a 2.125 rear and don't have any tire rubbing.

it might be worth making that tensioner spring loaded, those tensioners have a tendency to fall out of adjustment. even better, you might consider buying an aftermarket tensioner that bolts to the engine or to both the chainstay and the seatstay.

ok awesome! ..workin on it right now..the sprocket looks like its drifting away..has some run out...gonna try bangin it with a hammer

when using a hammer (as I do) always put an old drill bit between the teeth of the sprocket so it sticks up a bit higher than the teeth - that way you can bash it real good without flattening the tips of the teeth

Back