Can't get a spark, do I need the kill switch?

dunne

Local time
9:47 AM
So I've tried with 2 different CDIs and stator coils with 2 different NGK B6HS and still cannot get a spark. I soldered blue to blue and black to black both times, capped the white and didn't connect the kill switch. I read somewhere that a faulty kill switch can kill your electrical connection.

However, the kill switch is the only electrical component that I haven't replaced, and logically this could've been my problem all along instead of everything else that I've replaced. Do I need it wired in in order to spark the plug? I'm also going to go by an ohm meter and test my magneto / CDI on the off chance that I've gotten 2 faulty ones in a row.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sounds like a bad ground. Sand or file clean the mounting side of the magneto, that's always been a problem area. Make sure you have a good clean connection on the ground (black) wire. I've never had a CDI box go bad, but have had lots of mag coils go bad, especially the older type with the white wire. The newer style with 2 wires is much more reliable. These will run without the kill switch wired in, but I've never had a problem with them, they are spring-loaded and make a connection when pushed in. One other thing to consider; the plug wire on these kits is notoriously cheap and many times faulty. They screw off of the CDI, get a good solid or spiral core wire and replace it. Hope this helps.

you do not need a kill switch to run

if could happen that 2 CDIs are bad, less likely that both mag coils are bad

you may have a spark that you are not seeing when you look - in this case, you need to hold plug in your hand and hand against a good ground on motor and run the bike quickly - if there truly is no spark, you will not feel anything

Thanks a lot for your help guys!
Magneto is fine per the multimeter, and I took it off and sanded the back. Chopped off the white wire as well.
My stock CDI was dead.
However when I tested my Jaguar CDI, it showed no current too. Then I reversed the connection (red multimeter to black CDI, black multimeter to blue CDI) and got a reading. Anybody think there's a chance the Jaguar CDI was wired backwards?

Thanks in advance.

you were probably just reading the charge that was put on the capacitor in there, or one leg of the rectifier - testing a CDI with a meter is iffy at best

hook it to a good mag and turning the motor will tell you if it is dead

Back