Can't remove clutch arm 3 screws?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by stars, Sep 6, 2014.

1. stars

stars Member

A stupid ebay seller send me a new engine with very tight screws. i don't have no power drill or nothing electrical to loosen it.
    what to do need to remove it to put the chain on but the screw are very tight. what to do? if u have any ideals to break the covers or loosen the screws let me no..

Attached Files:

2. Slogger

Slogger Member

One thing you could try is to apply pressure c/cw with a screwdriver as you hit the handle with a hammer. Not too hard, and as the hammer strikes you want to be applying loosening torgue on the screwdriver handle. The shocks sometimes help the screw free up, and the impacts keep the screwdriver bit from climbing out of the slot, buggering up the heads.
    A screwdriver that just fits the slots, without any slop would be best.
    Good luck, I hope you can get them out.

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

get yourself a hand impact driver (you'll need it a lot here and on other things - it is cheap)

Purple Haze likes this.
  4. stars

stars Member

hammer not working. its making it worse.

5. Slogger

Slogger Member

Ok, forget the hammer.
    The impact wrench would have worked except I doubted you had one.. I don't myself.
    You can get an electric drill and find a bit just a hair larger than the shafts of the screws involved, and drill the heads off. The cover will pop off and the (now unstressed) screws can be turned out with a pair of pliers or vice grips.

6. stars

stars Member

what about a hand impact driver? u don't need no drill to use this right

7. crassius

8. stars

stars Member

thanks crassius im mad i gotta wait but this is what im getting.. Worth the hassle

9. crassius

when you get it, give all your case bolts a tap too - they are sometimes a bit loose

10. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

you just find a piece of bar about the same diameter as the head and whack THAT with a hammer. HARD!

i have an impact driver...in some places its absolutely useless...ie, deep holes, or ones too close to other things.

not the case here, but still...i prefer using a bar (drift)

and try removing the cover on the other side, and pulling the clutch apart, release some of the pressure...

11. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Active Member

Sounds to me like some dipsnit put red locktite on the screws. You should be able to get visegrips on the backside of the rear screw, as it is longer (for attaching the chainguard)

stars likes this.
  12. crassius

seems that sitting in the salt air of a cargo hold makes a lot of these bind on new engines

Fabian and stars like this.
  13. stars

stars Member

thank yall but i drilled it out... thanks again!!!

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

There is always the option of using a bigger hammer, though i would look at other options that have been suggested.

stars likes this.
  15. stars

stars Member

i solve it already this is closed thanks

16. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

nothin here is EVER CLOSED!

what a terrible thing to say!

if all else fails, as fabian says...get a bigger hammer :wacko:

Fabian likes this.
  17. stars

stars Member