Break In Can't start engine...please help!!!!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Mohamad Azzo, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Mohamad Azzo

Mohamad Azzo New Member

This bikeberry kit is getting on my last nerve, guys. It won't stay on for longer than a few seconds. It starts up but dies a second later. It does not produce any power and maybe propels me an extra few inches. Throttle does nothing when twisted.

I've checked:

• Put spark plug on cylinder head and turned wheel back. Spark visible.
    • Adjusted clutch and it allows me to pedal.
    • The gas is flowing to the carburetor.
    • The float looks fine. Just a white donut looking thing in the carb bowl.
    • I unscrewed the drain screw with the gas switch on, and fuel does flow out.
    • The idler screw does not need to be adjusted.
    • Choke is on 100%.
    Not a problem with spark plug/magneto/CDI because spark is visible.
    Not a problem with the clutch because I can pedal freely.
    Not a problem with the fuel valve because it flows.
    Most likely not a problem with the float.
    Gas does reach the carburetor.

What could the problem possibly be?!?!?

Please help me.

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

clutch might be too loose. try tightening it up a bit. engine might not be fully engaged.

3. Mohamad Azzo

Mohamad Azzo New Member

But it starts up for a few seconds.. I don't know I'm not an expert lol. When I pedaled for a minute and press the 'tickle' button, the engine managed to stay on for 6 seconds and propelled me a few feet. Do you think there's not enough gasoline getting into the engine?

4. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

ur playing the choke from full to half? and pedaling to 12 mph and then dumping clutch?

5. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

tighten the carburetor intake manifold too.

6. skyash

skyash Active Member

Sounds like junk in the jet fuel gets in the carby but not to the motor well not much faster it revs more it sucks and blocks. Just a guess?

7. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

first, check that spark plug is wet - if not, look for air leak or clogged main jet

as mentioned above, try the choke in various positions

8. Mohamad Azzo

Mohamad Azzo New Member

I honestly don't know what the problem is...I spent a lot of money on this project and I'm really upset that it didn't work...

9. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Yeh, it is frustrating. Have you tried tightening up the clutch a little? I know one of my first issues with my bike was that my clutch was too loose (ie I can ride fine with clutch pulled in but engine does little to nothing when clutch is out). I try tightening it up a few times (labourous) and I think there were times where it started a bit then stop until I had the clutch set just right. Try it.

** by tightening the clutch. i mean loosening up the tension on the clutch cable.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  10. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

losing money on something you don't know about is only fixable by learning about it

take time to read (until you understand) the many threads here on the troubleshooting steps for a no-start motor

everyone here had to do that with at least their first bike

Frankfort MB's likes this.
  11. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

I've had to do that with more than one bike;)

12. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

clean the spark plug ground path screw contact points at the stator coil.
    take the gas line off the carb and make sure fuel flows thru it (which it won't if the fuel filter inside the tank is clogged)
    also loosen the gas cap and then retighten it. If it runs for a few minutes and then dies it may be because the gas vent is clogged and not letting the tank breath. that creates a vacuum that prevents gas flow from the tank.

13. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I think I made a mistake with my winter build, I repositioned my carburetor needle and changed my jet size before ever trying to start with stock settings on carburetor, did you possibly do the same? I ask because your issue sounds a lot like mine.

14. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

"Not a problem with spark plug/magneto/CDI because spark is visible."
    spark can happen outside the engine but not inside it. That is because compressed air is harder to spark across.
    Bend the spark plugs ground electrode away from the center electrode before testing for spark outside the combustion chamber.
    Not likely the float? what? The float should be correctly adjusted to assure the right gas level in the carb which affects the fuel/air ratio. Too lean or too rich and the engine won't run.

15. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Is that what the screw on the side of the carburetor does, adjust the float? I read to turn it all the way in and back it off 4 to 4 1/2 turns

16. skyash

skyash Active Member

Most Screws on carby lifts the slidfor idle . The float is set but can move after time or jumps. The float let's petrol in and stops it when not needed.

17. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

18. Tommy Griffin

Tommy Griffin New Member

Play with the choke . These engines are iffy when it comes to the air they require to get it cranking .