Capacitor Drive Electric Bike

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by Randall, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Randall

Randall Member

So I have had in my mind a lot lately about a self contained system whereby as you ride a generator is constantly recharging the capacitors. The reason I am using capacitors is that they charge faster and yes I know they discharge fast also. But if there is a constant source of electricity resupplying the bank then you could in theory travel indefinitely. Yeah I know, maybe a pipe dream. But the guy in the posted video shows his capacitor scooter, so at least it is possible to run an electric bike on capacitors. Now I/we just have to slow down the discharge rate i.e. regulate the discharge rate. Anyway just wanted to get a conversation started about this prospect or not. Basically what I am getting at is a better battery.

2. Street Ryderz

Street Ryderz Active Member

look up erocket its all ready been done.

3. Randall

Randall Member

Will do, thanks.

4. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Batteries are just really good capacitors.
    I had some fun with caps when I was in computers, I am talking caps the size of beer can and would would wide them with bare copper wire so if you grabbed it you get a nice jolt ;-}

5. Randall

Randall Member

Yikes :)

6. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Not sure what you are saying..............:)

7. Randall

Randall Member

Generator off front wheel, recharging the capacitors. Motor on rear wheel operated by the capacitors.

8. Pablo

hahahahahahahahaa! Got it.

To quote a very old PC game (from the 1990's): "It doesn't work that way"

9. Randall

Randall Member

To quote a very old PC game (from the 1990's): "It doesn't work that way"

Proof please: white paper, link, something to back your statement.

10. Pablo

White paper disproving perpetual motion? Well science doesn't work like that way either. It's not up to me to disprove such a thing, it's up to you to prove it. Not being a smart ass, it's just that way.

That said, I will give a VERY quick answer assuming you probably skipped HS physics. There is no real "free energy", so from a start, energy comes from somewhere. Charged capacitor is a good example. So charge from home AC, fine. Set bike in motion, with your scenario - let me ask you - have you spun an alternator under load? Takes a decent amount of energy, plus getting you going and keeping you in motion on the bike. The power from an alternator to the motor via a controller is not lossless.

Answer: Friction and other (electrical) losses - ie the first and/or second law of thermodynamics. We have yet to find a lossless system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

11. Randall

Randall Member

Magnetic bearings for reduced friction (yeah I know, a long way off), 4 Billion years of perpetual motion of the planets is long enough for me lol.

have you spun an alternator under load? Takes a decent amount of energy, plus getting you going and keeping you in motion on the bike. The power from an alternator to the motor via a controller is not lossless. --- yes, I know about that.

This is just a thought experiment.

12. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

This is like reaching back and picking yourself up by the collar.
    So. 750watt generator 85% efficient takes 882w to drive it, charges a battery that is 55% efficient, takes 1.8hrs of charging to supply a 750w motor (that is a remarkable 90% efficient) for an hour that is unable to meet the need of the 882w to drive the front generator. Make sense?

Even with the 96% efficient capacitor storage the perpetual motion part still fails.
    I am however excited about cap storage for hybrid use. Picture:

2hp Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) driving a 1000w generator and a 750w hub motor.
    Cap drive only needed for local low speed driving, long trips and charging kicks in the 2hp ICE.
    Max power need kicks in both motors for 3hp acceleration. Best of all worlds.

Steve

13. Randall

Randall Member

the power from an alternator to the motor via a controller is not lossless.

Yeah I understand it is not lossless. Not going from generator to motor via controller. Going from generator to recharge caps as you travel, then from caps to motor. Controller in there somewhere. (not an electrical engineer)

14. Randall

Randall Member

I am however excited about cap storage for hybrid use. --- Me too.

Again, just a thought experiment. LOTS of obstacles or walls, lol.

15. Randall

Randall Member

I guess I will wait till antimatter can be safely stored, LOL.

16. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Regenerative Braking is popular with e-bike riders to recapture some of the power they used to create motion in the first place, to stop that motion with all the drag you have creating power with a generator.

In short, there is no such thing as the 'perpetual motion system', let alone one you can draw power from and keeps going as you propose, unless of course you have some 'magic dust' that alters physics...

Sorry man, you'll be pedaling your butt off to make up for the 'magic powder' you needed unless...
    Never mind, that is the kind of thing people get killed over.

17. Randall

Randall Member

Yep, I understand. Again, just a thought experiment.