Carb connector ring broke

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Ryno, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Ryno

Ryno Member

The rubber ring which connects my Carb to my Engine has deteriorated. It broke in half and I have no way to keep the carb on. I tried creating my own out of an old bike inner tube but it didn't work. What should I do?

2. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

what engine?

get a new one? from original seller?

erm um. rubberised flange fittings. never tried sourcing one but im thinking the phonebook maybe. to find a local business that sells such a thing... google is useless for stuff like that :) usually... i dont think you want 30000 from china... :jester:

mower shop? somewhere like that...

3. Ryno

Ryno Member

Oh, sorry. It's a 48cc Grubee Skyhawk engine. Are you sure there's not anything that I could get at Ace hardware, Menards, or Fleet Farm?

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Ryno...I can't picture your problem. A picture is worth 1,000 words, in this case much more. I have never seen a carburetor connected to the cylinder by a rubber ring.
    I'm guessing...A rubber union for PVC pipe.
    [​IMG]

Is this not what your carburetor mounts to the cylinder...
    Disregard the red arrow.
    (a intake manifold made of aluminum?)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. Ryno

Ryno Member

Alright maybe it's not rubber after all.

Anyway here is the broken piece. This was the only thing in between the metal on the carb.

Attached Files:

6. olow

olow Member

dont know if it would work or not but maybe u could super glue it back together

7. Ryno

Ryno Member

I'm hoping to find a better solution, because it wasn't even that great of a piece in the first place.

8. Al.Fisherman

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  9. snarky yarbles

snarky yarbles New Member

Man! What is the deal with these nylon reducers? Mine is also trashed. I have maybe 30 miles worth of break-in time on my grubee Skyhawk 66. The way mine just disintegrated makes me think maybe nylon is the wrong material for this purpose. Do all engines have these reducers? or is it just the cns v2's ?

10. Al.Fisherman

Not all carburetors on HT's use reducers. Also if you buy from the site I'd get a few. Nylon is not the wrong material, its the **** we get from China. I don't know where the ones on the Ebay site comes from, but you can ask. I don't have a reducer on my HT 80cc as they advertise. I had one on a production motor scooter that had the reducer. The bike was made in China and wasn't worth a ****.

11. Ryno

Ryno Member

Thank you Al, you've helped me many times and I appreciat3 it.

12. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

ahhhh, a reducer.... bit of hose pipe works ok, or even a few wraps of electrical tape... be prepared to replace it occasionally.

umskies...

if you have access to a lathe... :) piecea****!

all nylon, regardless of manufacturer, should be BOILED in water for a half hour or so... keeps it flexible..ish :) (RC car tip, stop replacing them nylon gears!)

13. snarky yarbles

snarky yarbles New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Al. I guess I will buy a few replacements from the ebay site you posted. Now to determine the correct inner and outer dimensions.
    It might be cheaper to just buy an NT carb replacement, assuming they don't need an reducer. Will probably do both, I was just learning how to make the cns v2 run good.

14. Al.Fisherman

NT carb with a stock aluminum intake doesn't use the bushing.

15. olow

olow Member

red air cleaner carb

:poop:well i thought every one was nuts but my new carb had a melt down on the reducer also one thing i noticed is these new grubees run a little hotter than the older ones this could be the problem lowes here i come if i come up with something ill let all know:idea:

16. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

What up. My old 09 skyhawk did'nt have plastic reducer was old model.. My new skyhawk has the CNS carb. reducer still in one piece. One issue I am having is when driving I can only crack throttle a litttle or it boggs down and loses power.. Idol is good though. Whats the dealio. not even 1 mile on motor,maby it needs to be broke in longer. any ideas.

17. urchinbob

urchinbob New Member

I had the same thing I think. The nylon ring {plastic looking thing} that goes on the inside of the carb against the black o ring with a slot in it broke when I was trying to get rid of an air leak. Couldn't find one. So neccesity being the mother, took a hack saw blade and folded aluminum foil around it about 6 times and pulled out the blade. Then I put the plastic uh nylon piece on the intake pipe and wraped my foil strap around it. Had to take about wrap and half to fit inside carb. Pushed it in tight to o ring and tightened clamping screw. Stopped air leak and holds nylon piece together. Been riding for about 2 weeks now (everyday to work about 8 miles round trip) no problems. No more bog either.

18. Ryno

Ryno Member

I still don't know what to do! I can't figure out the size of the nylon piece, and electrical tape doesn't work. What should I do at this point?

19. urchinbob

urchinbob New Member

Use a piece of aluminum foil folded over several times making the strip about the same width as the nylon ring. Now take the strip and mold it around the pieces of the broken nylon ring. You should now have a new spacer, nylon inside aluminum over. Gently place nylon/aluminum spacer inside carp. Fit over the end of head intake and push tight to the o-ring. Push and tighten at the same time yields best results for no air leaks. My nylon piece was in three pieces and this has been working for about a month now and got rid of my bogging at high end. Good Luck.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

20. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Pipe

Got rid of plastic and now using copper pipe with reducer and Hi temp hose and working good. JB weld is a good idea to avoid air leaks.