Carb leaking gas

R

ren

A friend of mine has a 2008 Whizzer NE5 that is completely stock, no modifications. The carb leaks gas from the rubber hose coming from the bottom of the carb when he tries to start the bike. The bike is hard to start and wants to die when riding it. Is the float out of adjustment or could it be something else? The bike isn't rode much and has only 140 miles on it. I haven't looked at it yet, he just told me about it this morning. I thought I would check the carb adjustment screws first. Our elevation here is about 1000 feet, temps in the 70's and humidity is about 60%. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Randy

Overflow hose

Hi if you are talking about the hose on the bottom of the carb, that is the overflow hose.

This is saying that either the float is too high (set it at 22mm I believe) or that a piece of foreign matter has got into the needle and seat and has held the needle open to flood the carb.

Yes it will run poorly that way if at all.

Mike

set float

Yes it is the overflow hose that the gas is coming from. I know how to access the float, but where do I measure to set the proper level? I'm also aware of the float bowl O-ring swelling upon removal.

Thanks

Randy

Float adjustment

Hi Ren, first thing to check inside is did the float get to leaking and has gas inside, if not, then adjust by measuring from surface of the carb body to top of float when held upside down.
I have also seen a float come unsoldered and fall off, causing flooding.

And of course the needle and seat clean etc.

Mike

Float

Thanks Mike, It'll be a few days before I can look a it. I will post the outcome here. Thanks again.

Randy

If the bike ever ran well, I suspect that a piece of chipped paint is now interfering with the float valve. You'll need to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. I had the same problem with my carb and the cleaning did the trick.

I also removed my tank and rinsed the contents to remove any foreign matter. I'd also take a shop rag and drag it around the gas cap opening to dislodge any other paint that might be peeling.

Thanks go-rebels, my buddy has not brought me the bike to look at yet. I will let you all know the outcome when I get the bike.

Float level on the 22 MM is 22 MM.

A few 22 MM carburetors have metal floats and the float hits the bottom of the bowl, but the symptom is running out of gas at high speeds, not overflow.

Install a good inline filter to stop the paint chips from the tank from entering the float chamber.

Have fun,

I've got fuel bowl overflow too!

The last two times I started Oscar, I noticed fuel running out of the overflow tube, so I lightly rapped on the bowl with a small hammer and that stopped it, probably by re-seating the float needle in the carb supply line.

I have a fuel filter in the line, so it probably isn't contamination.

HAL

Back