Carb slide won't slide smoothly

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by ariel, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ariel

ariel New Member

I connected the pin, washer, and spring to the carburetor cap but when I go to twist the throtle the carb slide moves upwards inside the carburetor but does not slide back down. I'm using the spring that came with the kit so I'm not sure why it won't slide back down. Do I need to lubricate around the slide to allow it to move more freely? Can anyone help? Please!

2. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

If you used something like channel locks to tighten the cap so it doesn't loosen up the fact that those carbs have only half threading makes the barrel warp into an egg shape. You can correct this by removing the slide and squishing the barrel back into shape with pliers or something. To keep the cap from loosening use a bit of blue lock tite on the threads and tighten it by hand then let dry.

3. carb throttle issue

Did you drill hole in bars, to keep throttle in place,put grease on bars then put on twist throttle,a thin coat of grease on the white plastic,will give a smoth twist,and rebound .good luck.

4. ariel

ariel New Member

The slide looks pretty round to me. I ended up using some sand paper and sanded down the slide a bit. I also used some wd40 to help it slide better. The carb slide is still a little tight. What do you think if I change the spring to one a little bit stronger so it can push down on the slide better?

Chevyoldschool, I did drill a hole on my handle bar and the twist throttle is in place correctly, I think. I opened the carburetor and while twisting the throttle was able to determine that the slide could not retract due to not enough clearance between the slide and the barrel.

5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

umm, you do know that the carb slide has a slot in it and there is a pin inside the carb body that the slot in the slide has to line up with right?
    if the slot in the slide is not lined up with that pin, the slide will not move, or it will be very hard to move.
    the slide will still go into the carb if it the slot and pin are not lined up but the pin will drag on the side of the slide.
    the slide and carb are a very precise fit, if you sanded on the slide, you may get air leakage past it if you made the slide too small, but i don't think that would be a big deal since the slide goes up & down to let air in anyway.
    tightening the cap of the carb with pliers is not necessary. just make it hand tight...it won't come loose.
    using pliers on a carb cap is the same as using an oil filter wrench to put on a new oil filter.
    hand tight is all you need...it won't vibrate loose, and it makes it ALOT easier to loosen it in the future.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. ariel

ariel New Member

Yeah, I made sure that the pin and slot engaged each other. I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly but its just a very snug fit. Is it supposed to slide smoother once the engine is running and oil is lubricating the engine?

7. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

the slide should not need any lube. even tho some of the oil from the gas will eventually get on it once the engine is running. when you put it together dry, the slide should move up & down in the carb body easily with no lube on it. the slide should not be loose, but it shouldn't be too tight either. you should be able to move the slide up & down while it's in the carb. with your fingers without the cable or spring on it.
    who knows, maybe you got a mis-machined carb, or a bad slide?
    anything is possible.

8. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

What do I do if the slot inside the carb body is off center?
    Does that effect the assembly from sliding smoothly?

Im having the same problem with it moving smooth.
    I've check for pinched cable, throttle tightness and position, made sure the pin in the carb body fit in the slot while sliding it back in.

I just dont know what to do.

9. customcruiser

customcruiser Member

this has happened to my bike and a mates bike and an old honda engine it can go egg shaped the slide tht is or it may be sand or something in there blow it outwith a compressor or sand slide down the pin may have something to do with it but it shouldnt best bet is to mess around with it if u eff something up then ask for a new one

10. ariel

ariel New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I sanded the carb slide a little bit and it seems to be sliding a little better now. Thanks again.

11. ariel

ariel New Member

I also replaced the spring in the carb slide to a stiffer one to be able to push slide back down. So far it seems to be working.

12. Alson

Alson Member

Carb slide got tighy

Mine just started to do the same thing, man it stayed in full throtel but then let up, it hapened twice. I took the spring out and streached it, jt worked for awhile, so I took tbe carb off and noticed it was worped, now I tryed to put it back on, and I cant get jt to slide down all tbe way, I ,ined jt up right but the twist grip isent working right, i think mines shout. Might try to bend it back in shape, dont know

13. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

What's warped, the slide or the carb body?

14. Alson

Alson Member

slide doesnt move smothly

The carb body, it seemed like it warped all by jt self, I do tighten the screw real good that holds the carb on, it seemed to start when I put strate synthitc oil in it. I tryed to bend tbe warp out with channel ,ocks, now I cant get the slide to slide down at all. Going to my stock carb till I order another one, the new still carb

15. AussieSteve

I had the same problem a while ago. The carb body distorted very slightly, jamming the slide, when the top cap was done up tight. The top cap was badly formed. I put a fibre washer inside the top cap to cure the problem.
    Sounds like it was probably a similar cause or the over-tightening that did it.
    It wouldn't be related to the synthetic oil.
    As you discovered, that sort of distortion is virtually impossible to fix.

16. Alson

Alson Member

Slide barrel worped

Well I shouldnt of tryed to straten jt out with channel locks, oh well. i realy liked the extra pick up it had, im going to order another one, Spooky Tooth, sometimes takes two or three weeks sometimes to receive it sometimes. At least now I know what to do, finger tite and blue lock tite it, and now I have the mm ruler to check the float level. I heard the stock slide on the NT carb is the same as the new stile carb slide, cause I used the stock slide to check in the new stile one and it gets stuck half in

17. AussieSteve

I didn't mention that even after sorting out the distortion problem, out of the three slides that I have here, only one fitted really well.
    (Watch out for slight dents in the slide too - they'll make it stick.)

18. Alson

Alson Member

bigger jet

I was thinking of putting a jet out of my new stile carb, which doesent work now in a stock carb, to see what it does, if its to muvh gas Ill change it back

19. AussieSteve

Can't hurt to try it, if it fits, just be careful that the mixture doesn't lean out too much. (Will only happen if the jet you're trying is actually smaller.)
    With any jet changes, keep a good eye on the plug colour and if it goes whitish or grey, change back immediately.
    That especially matters if the engine seems to rev out much better than usual - it can indicate an over-lean condition, which can lead to a melted piston or seized engine.

If it goes black or the engine 4-strokes, particularly at WOT, then the jet is too big.
    (The engine will also smoke more when the mixture is too rich.)

20. Alson

Alson Member

slide problems

Man, I put the stock carb on, but didnt change the cap from the worped on, tighten it down with my fingers, road it and it had a small air leak, came home and changed the cap, but couldnt put the stock slide in it, it was to tight, so I changed the cap, and left the smaller slide in it, it idels fast then slows down. Thats all I got left. I thought of getting some puddy and put some around the cap to stop the small leak, till the other carb comes. Oh ya I didnt check the plug yet, I will before I take off