Tires Carbon Airless Bicycle tyres

Fabian

Local time
3:02 AM
It's about time that we move to something more reliable and tunable than the old fashioned pneumatic tyre.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guinea pig them if they ever make them for bikes, but I wouldn't hold your breath.I wish they wouldn't use that "energy return" saying, makes it sound snake oily.I always thought if they would just redesign the damn bike rim so we could use those airfree/nutek tires.Those just won't work with a standard rim as it places all the stress on two (mainly one) points.
A carbon rim with offcenter carbon spokes/supports 'ala the plastic BMX bike rim, that would give some squish in the round but not laterally would simulate the passive suspension of a pneumatic,... I think.
If they ever come up with something, I'm for it, I'd love to be able to ride the ditches without worry.

interesting concept...wonder how you change the tension? one by one? eep!

also how it rides through corners with load...any tendency to "roll off the rim"?

and tyre changes...tread. how do you replace it?

if you had a series of ribs that you could mount a normal tyre onto, then "pull the string" like doing a ship-in-a-bottle, then youd have something neat... oh yeah :) big bezel ring on the inside of the rim that you twist to lock or something?

listen to me, giving away million dollar ideas :giggle:

Did you notice that there was no give to the tire as it rolled over rocks? Look at this frame:
Picture 4.jpg

Back