Carby Carby gremlins? Why so unreliable?

fetor56
In post #4 he said:

When the gas line is not hooked up to the carb, and i switch the valve on, gas spills out, as I'd imagine it should. However, when I attach the gas line to the carb, no more gas comes out - the hose doesn't fill at all. I had the same result with both carbs. Now this seems like the opposite of an engine flooding issue to me. WTF, mate?

The hose wouldn't fill if the swapped carb was full of fuel. Which I why I responded with my post above.

The question remains if it runs and is dying halfway around the block.
Old fuel could be an issue, also the impact with the van could have jarred something loose in the fuel tank that blocks flow.
Frankly I wouldn't worry about the hose filling,see if it starts and see how long it runs.

Ahh, I see what you mean - sorry - I'm still fighting my way up the learning curve.

As of now, no, the bike won't start at all with either carb.

Probably should go back to basics.
1. fresh gas
2. check for spark
3. check filters/screens

Ah-ha! No spark!

I tried swapping spark plugs between bikes, but can't get either to spark on the broken one. Does this narrow it down to the CDI?

I think that the impact damaged your magneto, the CDI is easier to swap to see if that is it but I would check the wiring first, then check the CDI or mag.

Check your kill switch too, theres a thread here about the Staton kill switches having issues.

One of the first things I checked after the accident was the wiring between the motor and the CDI, and it's all still connected... You guys are speaking of CDIs and Magnetos, but I was thinking those were the same thing. The CDI is obviously the black plastic box with the spark plug wire coming out of it, so is the magneto something in the engine?

I'll search the forum for killswitch info before I hit the garage again, but if anybody's got a link to the forum Ol' Bob was speaking of, I'd appreciate a direct link!

The magneto is inside the engine...u access it by removing the left/front side cover.
Stick with simplest first....try swapping CDI's.

PS....IF u have your kill switch connected disconnect it.....their cheap & nasty & i wouldn't trust them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fetor... I'll try swapping the CDI first. I'm debating ordering a new one or disconnecting the one from the other bike and switching it over... I soldered all the connections, so switching them would be a pain, although not unbearable.

As for removing the killswitch... I'm willing to try taking it out of the circuit for testing purposes, but how is one supposed to stop the motor without it? Do you just dump the clutch without any momentum to stall it? That can't be healthy.

Back