Cash for Clunkers - more gubmint cheese!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I love it, the federal gubmints "cash for clunkers" program is out of money already, not even a full week into the program. The $1,000,000,000.00 was supposed to last into October, but the gubmint found out (not surprisingly) that when you give money away, people will be lining up at the door! Same thing is gonna happen to gubmint health care. When doctors visits are "free" under the gubmint HMO, people will be lining up outside the door for every little sniffle and rash, looking for a "free" prescription and it will cost us taxpayers much, much more than the trillions already projected. But we're going to save sooooo much money giving out Obama "inhalators". LOL

What I see is another well meaning gubmint program that is going to hurt the weakest citizens. Hows that you say? Easy.

Who can buy a new car nowadays.

People with good credit or people that have a lot of cash.

So basically, you are giving "rich people" (the ones who can obtain financing or buy it outright) $4,500 to get rid of their SUV that gets 18mpg or less, and buy a new SUV that gets a few mpg more.

Stick with me here......

Can people with poor credit, and no cash buy new cars?

Probably not because the banks have had enough trouble with "risky" loans.

So what kind of cars do lower income people buy? Used cars!

But wait, all the trade ins from the C4C program must be destroyed.

This will inflate the prices on the used car market, so the lower income folks get hit the hardest!

Gotta love these well meaning idiots.

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Free health care? For whom - congress-critters?

That amounts to a co-pay requirement - a hefty one. $5,000/yr for a single adult is $416.67/month. Which is more than many people pay for their health insirance plan through their employers now, and is OVER AND ABOVE the tax burdren that will incur through direct withholding from your paycheck. However, for those whose incomes don't reach a floor set by the government, that tax burden and that co-pay requirement will be waived - which means more free bread and circuses for the welfare class.
  3. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Does not seem right to destroy a car that someone can fix and use..they are supposed to drain the oil ,start er up and seize the engine....sacreligious. just like when Clinton decided to destroy all military surplus...perfectly good clothing ,blankits,boots , socks ,mrs all kinds of good camping ,hurricane, everyday stuff the civlian population could use
  4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

It does seem a shame to destroy perfectly good running vehicles, just because they get 18mpg combined mileage. The fuel costs for someone like me, who commutes 10 miles a day, is negligible. Even when gas was 4 bucks a gallon.

The government has a prior record of needlessly destroying things in an effort to artificially bolster certain sectors of the economy. FDR did this during the great depression to help the agricultural industry. (His so-called "Agricultural Adjustment Agency") He burned crops, and destroyed livestock at a time when people were going hungry. So much for compassionate liberals.

Bend over, because here we go again!
  5. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

just another failed government program... the get a pass in the media because we are supposed to look at the intention of their ideas not the outcomes. People need to wake up especially in the house and senate. If these two bills pass I think many of them will be looking for work next year... just like the rest of us.

Palin 2012
  6. scokes

scokes Member

Agreed, but this concept of fixing a car comes from mechanically inclined individuals like you and me. I, myself, work on my three vehicles, scheduled maintenance and otherwise. I have a '64 Chevy Impala SS, '95 Chevy Silverado with 370,000 (which still runs like new) and an '01 Hyundai Sante Fe. Not everyone can afford to keep an older car in working performance, but that's no reason to "recycle" it. H E LL, I can't afford to get a new one.

Now granted, I wouldn't pay someone $4,500 for their "junker" and I doubt anyone else would either. But, why couldn't the gov't use some of the abundant parking lots to run a "you pull it" scrap shop/junkyard. We have abandoned lots everywhere in our town. Give me some gov't benefits and I'll run the place, no problem. "All procedes go to the local Salvation Army or Goodwill"

Vtec, has there ever been a gov't program that hasn't failed in one way or another...?
  7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Part of their mission was to eliminate the "gas guzzling" SUV. They want no parts re-used, as this will keep them on the road. Their engines must be rendered useless according to the rules.

They are going to pour another 2,000,000,000.00 into the program, and my guess is when that money runs out in a few weeks, sales will go back to "dismal". However, the three billion spent will artificially boost car sales figures for the quarter and give the state media more reason to proclaim that the recession is over. (when unemployment will probably hit 10% + )

All I see are ecstatic car dealers on TV proclaiming what a "success" this program is. Well, no DUH. If your industry is the recipient of BILLIONS of tax payer dollars to prop you up, you'd be happy too.

We'll see how happy the general public is when the "let me be clear, 95% - not one dime" pledge is broken. Sure is fun to spend the cash, not so much fun to pay the bill - unless you are the government, in which case, you have the power to take from the taxpayers and/or print more.
  8. scokes

scokes Member

Other than the Kennedy assasination(s), that is.
  9. give me vtec

Nope... All I can say is GOVERNMENT HEALTH CARE.

Pray and vote they dont pass this
  10. give me vtec

there are different unemployment number the government uses... the 9% they talk about in the news does not take into account people that have given up and are no longer looking or people that have been forced to take part time work when they want full time. If you include these two groups it is closer to 14%... according to the we lost 374,000 jobs in June. But dont worry, google searches of economic depression were down so the crisis is over. Can you believe this administration?
  11. scokes

scokes Member

Reminds me of an oxymoron I once heard.

Military Intelligence.

Now i'm thinking "Reliable Government"
  12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

They would have been celebrating at "only" 374K, the number from was 467K jobs lost. Actually, they probably ARE celebrating because they'll say that losses were "less than expected". These guys can't figure out funding for a clunkers program, so when they over-estimate job losses, they pat themselves on the back?

Nonfarm payroll employment continued to decline in June (-467,000),
    and the unemployment rate was little changed at 9.5 percent, the Bureau
    of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today.
    Job losses were widespread across the major industry sectors, with
    large declines occurring in manufacturing, professional and business
    services, and construction.
  13. give me vtec

all I have to say is Palin 2012
  14. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

My niece's BF works for a Honda dealer in the service dept. He said that you shouldn't even bother trying to buy a new car unless you have a qualifying trade-in. The sales people have gone from poor, starving victims of the economy to arrogant dooshbags literally overnight. They will not deal on price for those who have no clunker trade, and will tell people that "if you don't want to pay this price, I will just sell the car to the next guy".
  15. scokes

scokes Member

In my experience, I have never met a car salesman that wasn't an arrogant D.O.U.C.H.E.B.A.G. No matter how poor and starving they may have been.
    ba st ar ds...

No offense to any car salesman reading this. I have never met you and will not profession-profile anyone until we have actually met.
  16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Realtors are like car salesman too, except the stakes are much higher!

Driving by some car dealers, I noticed an interesting thing. They have cars lined up that were supposedly traded in for the clunker cash program, but along with the Ford Explorers, there are beat up economy cars lined up. This gives the false impression that your old Corolla qualifies.
  17. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

You guy's ain't figured it out yet? It's all smoke and mirrors! The mighty O gets all the credit because the people at the "CLUNKER JUICE" factory are doing double shifts! Scrap yard are booming! We'll be out of this in no time.
  18. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Marty, why all of a sudden you are talking to us like we are chimps?

Another example:

19. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I'll reply when I'm done scratching my armpit.

Just my way of trying to get a rise. I can't believe what the American people are letting go on here.

Like EW mentioned, metal prices are going up. Do you think this metal is being stockpiled for our future use in this country? H e l l no! It's being sent to China inorder to make a quick profit and in the mean time they are bolstering their Military. Sorry if I hit a nerve Clyde. No offense meant.
  20. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Now auto mechanics are complaining that business is slow because of the cash for clunkers program! They were probably doing quite well before the program because people were keeping their older cars running rather than just trading them in and buying a new car. But this time around, those older vehicles are not being re-sold - they are being destroyed. They'll never require repairs again. More unintended consequences of gubmint meddling.